RF-83 or 7II

stretch946

Welcome.

When paired with a tube amp (particularly 6L6GC), RF-7II can deliver the natural timbre of classical music, as well as the dynamics.  (In other words, "musical".)

I suggest you read this:  

Tube amps can also be used for multi-channel.   I use a state-of-the-art Oppo UDP-205 “universal player” for all digital audio and video formats:  Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, Pure Audio Blu-ray, SACD, hi-res FLAC downloads, hi-res DSD downloads, CD, DVD, etc.   The UDP-205 has “audiophile grade” DACs and analog circuitry built-in, and I connect it to my vintage tube amps via red & white RCA analog connections.  Stereo and multi-channel.  Sounds fabulous.   (I use HDMI solely for video to the HDTV.)

• Moderators
1 hour ago, stretch946 said:

I have  a pair of RF-83 and was wondering if the RF-7ii would be an upgrade or a lateral move? I use them 80% HT and 20% music and I've heard the 83's are more musical and the rf 7 are better for HT.

The RF-83 have a very laid back top end.  Midrange and bottom end are pretty similar.  My vote would go to the RF-7 II.

Check out this thread where I compared the RF-7, RF-7 II and RF-83 a few years ago

1 hour ago, Youthman said:

The RF-83 have a very laid back top end. 

You know I have heard you describe this more than once and do believe it so compared to the RF-7II but never felt my RF-63's to be that way.  Of course they share the same horn/compression driver but always thought they were a bit "crispy" on top, in a good way of course.  Very well balanced from top to bottom.

Bill

• Moderators
3 hours ago, willland said:

You know I have heard you describe this more than once and do believe it so compared to the RF-7II

All I know is when I A/B/C the RF-7, RF-7 II and RF-83, the 83 were definitely laid back in comparison.  And even more so when I A/B them with the LaScalas.  The 83 have a very smooth sound to them where the RF-7 II and LaScala are somewhat "Bold" and "In Your Face".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stretch946 said:

So the RF7ii would be a better speaker for Movies?

Some say yes, some say no.  Personal preference, room acoustics, sound goals.  You can't lose with either.  I really believe you need to compare the two in your room to get the true picture.

Bill

• Like 1