Cornwall owners question

Deano1974

Hey ladies and gentlemen, can i ask do the owners of Cornwall speakers generally have their speaker mostly in the corners against the wall firing down the wall or the cornwalls in the corner toed in at 45 degrees? Or any type of toe in?

Look forward to your answers

Deano

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

I had cornwalls a few years ago. Against conventional wisdom, mine were pulled out into the room about 5 ft. I had them spread very wide apart and toe directly at the listening seat. This was the way they sounded best in my room and I had no lack of bass response. Putting them against the wall made it more obvious you were listening to speakers.

Shakey

definitely toe-in, but not 45 degrees.  To my ears, and in my particular room, they seem to sound best aimed so that they converge (meaning, a line extended straight out from each tweeter) somewhere around 3 feet behind me.  

bothcornwalls.JPG

• Like 1

It's all in the name... In the CORNers or up against the WALL but I've never left them there.  I've always pulled them out when I could and experimented with placement to get the lower frequencies as even as possible.  Every room is different so placement will vary.  All the bass gain with them shoved in the corners isn't going to necessarily result in even bass which is more important to me.   If you have no choice but the corners at least you can experiment with toe in and place some wall treatments (acoustic panels) at first reflections on the side walls if you can.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ODS123 said:

definitely toe-in, but not 45 degrees.  To my ears, and in my particular room, they seem to sound best aimed so that they converge (meaning, a line extended straight out from each tweeter) somewhere around 3 feet behind me.  

bothcornwalls.JPG

If you removed all that acoustically reflective stuff between the Cornwalls (yes, the electronics cabinet, etc. moved to one side or the other well out of the way), I bet you could toe them in at least 45 degrees and significantly improve the imaging and phantom center effective width at the sweet spot.

The reason why most people don't toe their loudspeakers in more is due to all those acoustic reflections between them...

JMTC.

Chris

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

If you removed all that acoustically reflective stuff between the Cornwalls (yes, the electronics cabinet, etc. moved to one side or the other well out of the way), I bet you could toe them in at least 45 degrees and significantly improve the imaging and phantom center effective width at the sweet spot.

The reason why most people don't toe their loudspeakers in more is due to all those acoustic reflections between them...

JMTC.

Chris

That is probably true.  ..But it was hard enough getting my wife to allow these speakers into the room.  ..If I pulled them further into the room - or try to relocate this built-in cabinet -  I'd likely come home one day to find them gone :) (Not really...  my wife is absolutely wonderful about my audio gear.  ..but i don't want to push my luck!)

• Haha 1

I don't own Cornwalls, but my two cents.......experiment with placement.  When you find the sound that YOU like, leave them alone!  If someone tries to tell you you're doing it wrong, tell them they can shove their opinion where the sun don't shine!  In a polite way of course!

• Like 1

This is a subject that probably has been asked (and answered) many times on this forum (a frequently asked question...like "how do I find the manufacturing year of my Klipsch loudspeakers", etc.). 

PWK (...that's "Paul Klipsch" for those who may not know...) wrote an article on the subject of corner loudspeaker placement.  His loudspeaker of choice for the testing: the Cornwall.  Here is an excerpt from that article, which has been posted many times: https://community.klipsch.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=47376

Here is an article, also written by PWK on proper toe-in: https://community.klipsch.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=68922

Here is a thread on imaging using corner loudspeaker placement on the diyAudio site, condensed a bit from the original thread on the subject:  http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-wiki/248444-corner-horn-imaging-faq.html

Here is the original FAQ from this site about 7 years ago:

I see a lot of people wanting to use PWK's loudspeakers but then they fairly openly ignore the advice that the inventor/engineer clearly gave on how to set them up.  I think that you should at least give his advice an honest and complete try before you discard it out of hand.  You might miss something really good...

And if you're wondering...yes, I do own a pair and currently use them in my current 5.1 system: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/profile/26262-chris-a/&tab=field_core_pfield_14

Chris

I have mine in a comparitvly small room. 11’ wide. they are about 16” away from side walls & about the same off front wall. very slight toe in 10* 

individual results may vary so I totally agree with the others to try different placements until you find the presentation YOU like best

• Like 1