RIP Stephen Hawking

Ceptorman

and you guys think i’m joking ... i watch quantum mechanics lectures for entertainment. That’s what happens when all three of your sports team suck at the same time -- lots of free time. 

oh yeah, i’ve crossed the Einstein-Rosen-Podolsky bridge several times ... and it’s a blast. yes, i know wormholes are general relativity; but, can’t we all just get along?

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

and you guys think i’m joking ... i watch quantum mechanics lectures for entertainment.

That's a good thing I guess, but I think there might be a little more to it, like understanding it all and doing something with it, but if I do have any questions I sure know where to go, thanks.

And NO we all can't get along so save our lives, don't know what's everyone's problem is, we need a good alien invasion to bring everyone together. :huh: OK bad idea, we'll work it out.

Edited by dtel

Amazing mind.  Anytime he was in the news I read the article over and over.  I always thought he was the next Einstein.  Especially interesting to me was how he dismissed God and that the beginning of the universe could be explained without the idea that there was ever a creator.  He was so sure...........This is where I found fault with this thinking.  He did not believe in anything that he couldn't prove with math.  Still I always loved seeing an article about him because I knew there would be something totally wild in there.  It is amazing how he dealt with his disability.

• Moderators
On 3/14/2018 at 9:27 PM, Rxonmymind said:

Aside from his great mind which I admire for sure it was his ability to admit when he was wrong. That is the mark of a wise man. 

Under peer review on some theory of a black hole if memory serves right his colleagues pointed out an error. 

That's when I was impressed with him.

It was Leonard Susskind at Stanford.  That war went on for two decades.

On 3/14/2018 at 7:39 PM, BigStewMan said:

and you guys think i’m joking ... i watch quantum mechanics lectures for entertainment. That’s what happens when all three of your sports team suck at the same time -- lots of free time. 

oh yeah, i’ve crossed the Einstein-Rosen-Podolsky bridge several times ... and it’s a blast. yes, i know wormholes are general relativity; but, can’t we all just get along?

How can a single particle be in two places at once?

Hawking said that the M in M-theory might mean Master, Mystery, or Miracle, and that it seems to be all three.  Indeed, if it turns out to be "the theory of everything" (it is a candidate), it would just about have to be all three.  Or not.  I won't impose mere rationality on that that can be understood, if at all, through a combination of rationalism, empiricism, intuition, faith, and authority, and is, in the last analysis, ineffable.  Or not.  It turns out that Einstein probably didn't say this, but he did value intuition very highly: "The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."

R.I.P., Stephen.

1 hour ago, garyrc said:

How can a single particle be in two places at once?

superposition?  a particle of a wave can be thought of as existing across all possible positions of that wave at the same time. I just find this stuff interesting ... not saying I’m good at it :D

I like that Einstein quote ... i prefer the intuitive.

• Like 1