LP Display

rplace

You may have noticed in previous posts I've got a bit of an obsession with the first Boston LP. Too long of a story, but basically one of the pieces of music that has big part of my life for about 40 years. A friend of mine is sort of in the same way. We always joke about it, text each other when we hear any song from the LP "out in the wild". I think he heard one at Lowe's of all places recently. We always rock it way too loud on my Klipsch speakers when he comes to visit from out of state. I'm going to visit him this weekend so a few weekends back I started a little project. I wanted to make him something to frame the LP cover but those dudes on the back with quintessential 70s haircuts simply could not be hidden. Also wanted the cover and no matting to keep it smaller and more LP sized. What to do? I decided on this. Can be put on desk/table or hung on a wall and easily flipped around to display either side.

I'm not much of a woodworker but trying to learn in my all too short free time. I messed up two of the four pieces of wood by routing the groove for the LP and glass all the way through the ends forcing me to make a new top and bottom piece (there would have been square holes at each end). Based on my snails pace and buying materials at retail I'm taking orders. $1,000 should cover it and I'll have them for you by Christmas 2020. Solid walnut and dark oil finish. Not perfect but it is the thought that counts, right? Next time double rabbet joints in the corners and dowels.

IMG_20180314_101822927.jpg.7f599ad82383aed8e579d75a4e314100.jpg

IMG_20180314_101842017.jpg.5a959a01abc36523dc020c1fe65787d0.jpg

IMG_20180314_101900661.thumb.jpg.c3996638c6deaad6ecbe30c272981688.jpg

IMG_20180314_101912487.jpg.450018f7fa664547109c3e1885c39a45.jpg

IMG_20180314_101702412.jpg.26de0aa14c648ca6bf10544e2445c12e.jpg

IMG_20180314_101716224.jpg.994fb64612e7c757a688d8d38e33f846.jpg

IMG_20180314_101753978.thumb.jpg.0bcc1c6fe4ad9edcad5a863ff8dc595c.jpg

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, dtel said:

Cool idea, never seen an album displayed like that. That album is one of Roy's favorites, I remember when it came out in 1976, things were much different back then.

I had not seen anything like this before either. I have seen minimalist designs but always just for the front of the LP. I'm pretty sure I came up with this idea on my own. Unless I saw it, forgot it, then later stole the idea....which is possible, as lately I forget just about everything.

That Boston album was one of the first real rock LPs I got that was mine. I had two older sisters with tons of pop 45s and a crappy "record player" but I was building a system with a real turn table. Problem was not many LPs at the beginning. So that one got the snot played out of it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

no I will buy the $1 album ....

well to you for $10 plus shipping.

What?!?! Did you mean Sell not Well? As in buy for a buck and sell to me for 10? If so that makes solid business sense. I had zero luck finding one locally so had to sacrifice one of mine. Now I have two original pressings, both a single wally and a double wally, without covers. I've really got to stop collecting these and just listen to the ones I got. Screw it, keep looking for good ones for me. I'll pay you in homebrew.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rplace said:

What?!?! Did you mean Sell not Well? As in buy for a buck and sell to me for 10? If so that makes solid business sense. I had zero luck finding one locally so had to sacrifice one of mine. Now I have two original pressings, both a single wally and a double wally, without covers. I've really got to stop collecting these and just listen to the ones I got. Screw it, keep looking for good ones for me. I'll pay you in homebrew.

I'm going to my local store...

in 45 minutes.....

I will check the $1 bin.....

or ask the store owner....if he 

has beater Boston lp's....but

good covers

1 minute ago, dirtmudd said:

I'm going to my local store...

in 45 minutes.....

I will check the $1 bin.....

or ask the store owner....if he 

has beater Boston lp's....but

good covers

Too late, the fatal flaw of my design is once it is glued and nailed it is pretty much permanent. So my quest for a decent cover only is over. Back to looking for pristine NM/NM- original pressings. On the other hand my now naked LPs could use some covers.

12 hours ago, rplace said:

You may have noticed in previous posts I've got a bit of an obsession with the first Boston LP. Too long of a story, but basically one of the pieces of music that has big part of my life for about 40 years.

That’s cool.  Close to the Edge by YES and Queen’s A Night at the Opera are the most special albums for me. Not a lot of happy times for me; but, those two albums bring fond memories for me. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I was trying to think how you could use that or just display to be able to see both sides ?

A table with 2-6 lp's under one piece of glass (only one side), or if you you need a dividing wall ?

I like it, it just got me thinking that's all.

3 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I bought a new sealed original of that album at a garage sale for 50c several years ago.  Still have it that way because they also had a mint opened one that I bought as well.

I'll give you $5. That is 10X what you paid.:D. I never get scores like that. I see LPs played with a belt sander and Donny Osmond 45s. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, rplace said:

I'll give you $5. That is 10X what you paid.:D. I never get scores like that. I see LPs played with a belt sander and Donny Osmond 45s. 

Someone in the family must have been a radio DJ or something because I also bought some singles that said something like "for radio only-not for sale" on them.