Underground Outdoor Landscape Subs

Tony T

Has anyone had experience with the Underground Subs? A friend & subcontractor of mine is installing these things within the high end, luxury homes' back yards. I looked at one of them today (before he buried it) and they're very simple in design. It was somewhat large and the landscaper had to dig a sizeable hole to accommodate it! About 2'x3'x 3' deep. The direct burial subwoofer cabinet certainly wasn't small! Has a thick plastic mushroom looking thing sticking out of the ground that the bass bellows out of. 

My friend (who introduced me to this today) is the leader within my area for high end theater sound systems. He pushes, and sells Klipsch A LOT! He claims this particular brand is the very best bang for your buck. Can't wait to hear the system he's currently finishing. Always wanted a great outdoor sound system. One that actually sounds ... decent. I can honestly say I've never heard an outdoor, buried in the ground sub.

• Moderators

I have seen them installed on TV shows where they did a pool area with an outdoor kitchen. The whole garden had speakers with an underground sub similar I guess. I have not heard one but it should work great surrounded by dirt would make it very sold. I would guess the way the bass would exit should work well, bass being somewhat non directional would help, but even if you knew where it was coming from it would still add bass. Outdoor speakers need help with the bass in most cases, good bass is harder to make outside.

One thing I would do is to add some ant poison all around it, alot. :o Ants for some reason are attracted to electricity would could be a mess.

I really like the design

44 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I'll bet the bugs & worms love it

Yeah, I kinda thought about that too. Since I live in a rather sandy area, I already fear the wind blowing sand into the chamber. Then again, I don't expect they're designed for wide open 5 acre areas. I'll have to ask my friend about the bugs and sand thing.

No doubt there's some form of internal screen material within the riser pipe.

• Moderators

I wouldn't worry so much about things blowing into it the cover shape should stop that. You could ask if interested  if the exit pipe could be extended a little or would this change the tuning of the sub ? Plants around it could hide it easily.

Or at least some hardware cloth on the top opening to keep things from crawling inside.

I can understand wanting it buried for apearance but a weatherproof sealed sub on the surface in a garden like the speakers at a theme park at first thought would seem more effective.  No sound benefit to burying the sub that i can imagine.  Proper materials it would seem much better...curious what the pro would say.  

• Moderators

I had no idea Klipsch had one, wonder if they have one laying around Hope just doing nothing ? :ph34r: Field testing we will call it, or under the field testing is more like it, OK OK, I'll do it for free. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, dtel said:

I had no idea Klipsch had one, wonder if they have one laying around Hope just doing nothing ? :ph34r: Field testing we will call it, or under the field testing is more like it, OK OK, I'll do it for free. :rolleyes:

boy that was difficult - convincing you to test it

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dtel said:

They had one in Indy laying around looking for an owner a few months ago. I was going to pick it up until I saw how big it was, it would fill up the bed of my full size truck.

I’ve been searching for a couple of large outdoor subs myself and my problem is I can’t find anything large enough. I’m looking for a pair of 15’s or 18’s for each side of our shipping container cabana by the pond. I came across the Klipsch one mentioned above but damn that thing is real expensive, especially considering I’d need several. There’s not really anything out there that I can find for larger areas without having to buy several, which means I’d need several amps also. It seems like keeping it simple might not be an option for what I’m looking for. I’m surprised there isn’t any manufacturers hitting this market. I’m positive there’s guys that would want some 18s in their backyard around their pool for their pool parties.