R-15m sound "boomy" after reposition

Fab

First post fot me, so hello community! I have 2 R-15m as main speakers in my small 3.1 System (FL, FR, C, SW). In order to get a better stereo image (music is running on 2.1) I had to increase the distance of the speakers. Doing so, I had to lower them. The tweeter ist now approx. 20-30cm below ear-level. Although I don't consider myself an audiophile I feel something has changed. The sound ist now "boomier" and mids/hights less defined... The speakers are slightly tilted, so the tweeter point the ears. Ist there something else I can do to compensate? I uploaded a picture (really poor quality, sorry). The room might look bigger than it ist :-)

20180313_214233_3.jpg

Toe them in so they are pointing directly at you instead of straight ahead.

If you're using any kind of room correction software in your receiver re-run it anytime you make changes like that.

And welcome to the forum!

20 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Toe them in so they are pointing directly at you instead of straight ahead.

If you're using any kind of room correction software in your receiver re-run it anytime you make changes like that.

And welcome to the forum!

Hi wuzzzer, thank you for the VERY fast answer! U're right... I completely fergot to run the Audissey of my Denon again. Thx for reminding me.

It looks like the left speaker is too close to the side wall. This will cause boominess.

Try moving it to the right as far as your stand will allow.

Also move them towards the front edge of whatever they are sitting on, rather than towards the rear.

Hi dross. Moving the LF to the right would cause an asymmetry (I can't move the RF to the left - I need place to access the back of the tv)

Not shure if this can be compensated by the avr.

But thanks for the advice.

Edited by Fab

50 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

Distance from the wall [to back of speaker] seems to have quite a bit of influence.

I am no expert on R-15m, however the RP160m that I have been listening lately also benefits with pulling them out a bit from the rear wall.

That also works for my RF 42IIs. Give them a little space to breath if you can, and try to keep the same distance from rear wall for both speakers. And try to put them on some rigid stands. Point them (angle them) more towards your listening position. I would try 10 degrees toe-in and play further on angles as per your room acoustics.

1 hour ago, WillyBob said:

Got a pair for myself Christmas

I've been playing around with placing mine, too. Distance from the wall [to back of speaker] seems to have quite a bit of influence.

1 hour ago, parlophone1 said:

I am no expert on R-15m, however the RP160m that I have been listening lately also benefits with pulling them out a bit from the rear wall.

That also works for my RF 42IIs. Give them a little space to breath if you can, and try to keep the same distance from rear wall for both speakers. And try to put them on some rigid stands. Point them (angle them) more towards your listening position. I would try 10 degrees toe-in and play further on angles as per your room acoustics.

Thank you all! I turned the speaker a little bit more in my direction and run Audissey again. It's actually much better, but still not 100% "satisfying". I'll try to increase the distance from the wall and see (hear) what happens.

Sorry im late to the thread....i have 15ms.  Like with all speakers proximity to any wall structure will create reenforcement and gain particularly in the lower frequencies.

By moving them further apart they are closer to side walls...by moving them down they are closer to the floor.  Both have impact.

You likely prefer the sound without much bass with these...where they were before.  My guess is the extra reenforcment caused gain at frequencies you werent getting at the old position.  They are specd to about 60hz and in most rooms should play to 50s....with the move they are likely playing lower.

MAKE SURE you have them set to small in the AVR!   

Moving them forward or up will reduce the issue.