1st Gen RF-7 Xover and bypassing Cap questions

marems

I am currently in the process of putting together a list for all the parts needed for the RF-7 xovers that I will be updating/upgrading. Im going with 12w Mills resistors along with the DeanG resistor mod-

(I have already done so with Dayton audio resistors for the time being in which I found a significant improvement over the stock sound.) 

I have chosen the ClarityCap PX as I have used this line from ClarityCap before and I was pleased with the results. I have been reading about bypassing film and foil caps in the high frequency section of xovers, and the question I have now, is this a significant addition to the tweeter section? And what area of the RF-7 xover do I add it too?? From what I understand the bypass cap is paralleled in the high frequency caps, but another question is which cap or caps to install the film and foil on? The 5uf? 12uf or the notch circuit 16uf area? Or install one on all of these caps in this section?? Ive been looking at the film and foil audioCaps from parts express if I go this route. And lastly what is a rule of thumb for the bypass film and foil cap value to be when preforming this application? .1? 1.0? Etc? 

13 minutes ago, marems said:

I am currently in the process of putting together a list for all the parts needed for the RF-7 xovers that I will be updating/upgrading. Im going with 12w Mills resistors along with the DeanG resistor mod-

There are several threads in the Tech section on the RF-7 XO mods but speaking for myself I have a hard time finding what I want with the Search feature in this forum.  I'm thinking if you do the deang XO you don't need the resistor mod.  You need one or the other.

I'm no authority so please don't go by my poor memory.  We need @Deang to weigh in and comment.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, marems said:

Yes I have searched several times about the xover update for this speaker here and i have had a hard time as well. Thanks for your input and I hope Dean will chime in and shed some light 

I shouldn't even comment because I'm out of my knowledge base here, but as I tried to remember what I read in the threads, I'm thinking Dean replaced the OEM caps with better quality ones as you suggested above.  Dean is a well-known fan of the Mills resistors but I'm thinking the value for the tweeter is 10 Ohm, not 12 Ohm as you listed. 

Maybe there is no appreciable difference between the two values, we need someone smarter than me (not hard to find) or someone with a better memory than me (ALSO not hard to find) to set us straight. 

31 minutes ago, marems said:

(I have already done so with Dayton audio resistors for the time being in which I found a significant improvement over the stock sound.) 

I have chosen the ClarityCap PX as I have used this line from ClarityCap before and I was pleased with the results. I have been reading about bypassing film and foil caps in the high frequency section of xovers, and the question I have now, is this a significant addition to the tweeter section? And what area of the RF-7 xover do I add it too?? From what I understand the bypass cap is paralleled in the high frequency caps, but another question is which cap or caps to install the film and foil on? The 5uf? 12uf or the notch circuit 16uf area? Or install one on all of these caps in this section?? Ive been looking at the film and foil audioCaps from parts express if I go this route. And lastly what is a rule of thumb for the bypass film and foil cap value to be when preforming this application? .1? 1.0? Etc? 

I'm not really following you.  Deans RF-7 crossovers upgrade the caps, upgrade the resistors and add 1 additional resistor that the stock ones don't have.  He keeps all the cap values the same.  The additional resistor is added to the HF circuit.

If you were using electrolytics or mylars, bypassing is an inexpensive way to improve the dissipation factor. Since you're using polypropylenes, I wouldn't bother with them.

Don't mess with the coils.

Use Mills resistors.

Mills.jpg

• Like 1

Wvu80, CECAA850, and DeanG thank you all for the responses. 

9 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm not really following you.  Deans RF-7 crossovers upgrade the caps, upgrade the resistors and add 1 additional resistor that the stock ones don't have.  He keeps all the cap values the same.  The additional resistor is added to the HF circuit.

Im upgrading the caps and resistors only staying with the same original cap values . I have already added the 10ohm to the HF circuit. 

4 hours ago, Deang said:

If you were using electrolytics or mylars, bypassing is an inexpensive way to improve the dissipation factor. Since you're using polypropylenes, I wouldn't bother with them.

Don't mess with the coils.

Use Mills resistors.

Mills.jpg

I already did the 10ohm resistor mod using some cheap Dayton Audio resistors to eliminate the ring you discovered years ago Dean (made a significant improvement!)

9 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I shouldn't even comment because I'm out of my knowledge base here, but as I tried to remember what I read in the threads, I'm thinking Dean replaced the OEM caps with better quality ones as you suggested above.  Dean is a well-known fan of the Mills resistors but I'm thinking the value for the tweeter is 10 Ohm, not 12 Ohm as you listed. 

Maybe there is no appreciable difference between the two values, we need someone smarter than me (not hard to find) or someone with a better memory than me (ALSO not hard to find) to set us straight. 

The value for 12 was for a cap in the HF circuit not the resistor. I apologize if I didn’t clarify that and caused confusion.

My main question was if I should use a film and foil to add into the circuit as a bypass cap for a smoother sound that the caps are supposed to give. And if so how to do it because I have never installed a bypass cap in a xover circuit.

I greatly appreciate everyone’s feedback!