My CF-3 speakers

Ducatiman916

On 3/15/2018 at 8:11 PM, jarrod2750 said:

Those are a sweet pair of speakers.  I have them also in oak and did the bracing, dynamite on the horns and had Crites update the crossovers.

Were you blown away by the upgrades?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I definitely thought the tweeters were less harsh after the dampening, less rattle from the speaker boxes because they were stiffer.  After the Crites refresh of the crossovers, the speakers seemed to have more clarity.  The improvements weren't drastic but noticeable for sure.  For me the harshness in the tweeters was most irritating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jarrod2750 said:

For me the harshness in the tweeters was most irritating.

I agree.  I am not a fan of updating/upgrading unless there is something specific that needs to be dealt with.  Once you hear the harshness, it's hard to "un-hear" if that makes any sense.

To anybody wanting to pick up CF-3 v1 that harshness is easily dealt with by damping the horn (I used pure silicon caulk, about $5) and adding about a pound of polyfil (the cost of a single pillow from Walmart) to the bottom of the cab.  The dynamic sound that we love does not go away, but the HF harshness is gone and the accuracy is incredible.

I have the CF-4, big brother to the CF-3 with those mods.  They both have an almost cult following, including me.  B)