Brook 12A Clones

seti

I've been working on these for so long lol... I made minor changes to the original Brook schematic build. I did a more modern ground scheme and used shielded cable for input and feedback. The orginal chassis was pretty small and as this was my second scratch build I made them much bigger so I  could have room to work around. The parts are much higher quality than the original brooks as they used fairly crappy components back then. I am going to finsih the bottom plate to match the top.

IMG_3422.thumb.jpg.e30707ab7f86485e19c73de50311998b.jpg

I had some gremlins on first power up but no smoke pops or bangs just horrible noise out of speakers lol.. My friend Chris helped me tweek the feedback and all was well with the world. One more once over and check up and they go to the big speakers.

IMG_3421.thumb.jpg.f92cbf765088bd865365dbf57ec84602.jpg

These are Push Pull 2A3's so after these we are going back to SET.

Lessons learned:

Use real hardwood not plywood.

Don't wrap metal chassis in wood.

Don't trust Sams Photofact.

Wear pants while soldering.

Wear pants!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Did they come with a metal chassis?

Nice, what shielded cable did you use?

I bought the metal chaasis then once all the holes were in it I didn't like the way it looked. Then I thought no prob I'll wrap it in wood. My woodwork was square the box wasn't so lots of fixing.. Next time I'll just build a wooden box as it made it really complicated.

I think it was some belden cable from tubedepot.com which is in Memphis so they ship super fast to my house. I don't like working with the mic cable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seti said:

Lessons learned:

Use real hardwood not plywood.

Don't wrap metal chassis in wood.

Don't trust Sams Photofact.

Wear pants while soldering.

Wear pants!

Quote from Fairy Godparent Cosmo:

"Never cook bacon with your shirt off."

44 minutes ago, wdecho said:

Nice work. I know you are proud of them and I bet they sound great as well. One definitely does not want to solder in ones underwear. 

They have sounded ok on an old crusty EV 12" coax. They look good on the scope. Not sure if they will sound good but I hope so.

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

Ian, those look really, really nice. I am hoping to get off my rear to finish up my LS restore so I can hook up my Moondogs. Just been so busy I haven't finished them.

Bruce

It is hard to scavenge time to and tools to get projects done. Next is a crazy 112A preamp....

13 hours ago, richieb said:

-- now that seems a bit personal in light of the fact the man solders in his underwear --- ?!?

True. It really ain't pretty. Layout and neatness is my main focus moving forward. 

I didn't think the bottom plates looked right so I went with black and I think it looks much better. These took a very long time. I'm only just learning to build amps and only just learning woodworking. I am master of none but interested in all lol.....    

Now they are both done and tested. They are heading to one of the big systems this weekend.

IMG_3459.jpeg

IMG_3462-1.jpeg

• Like 1