Static? Pops

YK Thom

I have a question regarding an issue I have been having on and off. Sometimes when I turn on my receiver I will get a pop/snap sort of discharge out of my speakers. Most often but not always the centre - the sub will do it as well. I have on occasion unplugged everything from the outlets and replugged. Many times that seems to take care of things for a while. It does seem more frequent in the winter, a very dry time. I have replaced my power bar/ surge protector. I know we have serious power issues here. A lot of brown outs, surges and fairly frequent power outs. Not sure what to do and am wondering if these power conditioners I hear about might make a difference?

You should never power up amps with the volume on....just turn the volume up AFTER powering on.  Also, you should never power down an amp with the volume on...just turn volume down prior to power-down.  Back in the day, when you powered down you would turn the volume down, then cut off speakers, then power down the amp.  The reverse for powering up:  ensure volume down and speakers off, power up the amp, then turn speakers on, then turn volume up.  There were a number of reasons to do it this way, one of which was to extend driver life of the speakers.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, -js- said:

I've always been, and still am, fearful of powering up with no speakers attached.  not being any kind of expert or really experienced in "advanced" AV, is that a legitimate concern?

thanks.

I don't think it's a significant concern with SS, but definitely with tubes.

Agree with Andy above regarding volume down when powering up.

To YK Thom....are your speaker cables crossing your power cables?  Laying on the floor, on carpet?

Thanks all. I lean towards a grounding issue and our known local power issues. As mentioned this does not happen all the time, just occasionally but much more frequent in the winter. I just checked and don’t have speaker wive and power cables crossing. As far as on and off, I have the receiver set so that when turned on the volume is zero. These odd pops happen prevolume. I have been turning it off with volume still going though. I don’t have another amp to try. Perhaps a conditioner is required although I know very little about them. Time for some research.

I may have solved this. Emphasis on may. I notice that my KW-100 does not have grounding, two prong only. Over the course of the weekend I have been unplugging the sub prior to turning the system on. The sub is plugged into a different outlet than the rest of the system due to its location. The issue disappears. Going to try a new surge protector for that outlet. The existant one may be fried.