RP-280F cone rubbing sound

Sebastian

HI, I just bough pair of RP-280f from ebay with official warranty.

I've been testing these and I've noticed cone rubbing sound at some frequency it becomes quite clear like in juiced 2 soundtrack's.

I tested it with tone generator too and I hear some kind of cone rubbing sound from upper speaker. Another speaker is in the box still and I have no time to test it this weekend, but cone doesn't even need to be moving that much, just like half way through. bottom speaker doesn't seem to have that problem.

What should I do about it and what causes it? Warranty?

10 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

HI, I just bough pair of RP-280f from ebay 

Voice coil out of alignment, most likely rubbing center pole or side of housing/magnet. Check other speakers and contact seller for warranty replacement. Don't try to fix yourself contact seller, if he does not help contact eBay. Good luck!

9 minutes ago, Ljk said:

Alright thanks! Why I had have this problem with so many klipsch, mild problem with my rf52II too but they are now over 5 years old already, and klipsch 12 inch digital subwoofer had severe problem but I blew the warranty chance that as I started to tinker with it.

• Moderators

With no music playing carefully push the cone in and out with a few fingers as to not dent, if it's what your describing it will make a metal rubbing sound, if so that's your problem if smooth and no metal rubbing sounds or feeling like scraping it's something else. If it does it's the voice coil rubbing and probably shot.

• Like 1

Gonna try that tomorrow, should've 280f have quite big difference in maximum bass compared to rf52II? If it would be the case that rp280f cant play louder without cone scrubbing sound, rf52 would have an amazing bass production for their size compared to 280f 8 inch drivers. Though Rp280 have smoother and deeper bass, like an amazingly good bass when playing. "Bass I love you" song. RF52II cant even play that deep bass so immersively. I can play that quite loud compared to juiced 2 tracks or *** like that too without scrubbing noise becoming problem But If cones starts to move half way through that you can see it clearly, cone scrub becomes imminent. :( and should amplifier become problem first than the speaker's maximum capacity? All the positive reviews Ive seen everywhere about how loud these play and such. :$

Edited by Sebastian

On 17/03/2018 at 2:17 AM, dtel said:

With no music playing carefully push the cone in and out with a few fingers as to not dent, if it's what your describing it will make a metal rubbing sound, if so that's your problem if smooth and no metal rubbing sounds or feeling like scraping it's something else. If it does it's the voice coil rubbing and probably shot.

I at least can't hear any rubbing sound. But I even have to careful with bass at +8db and with crossover set at 60hz on onkyo amplifier, still at some songs, mid bass can easily drive them to that annoying cone hit sound or something :( Definitely not even close to amplifiers maximum power rms wattage :S I'm feeling very confused as I wanted a once speakers that would not break sweat this easily  as my investment.. :(. This sounds like a really marginal improvement bass loudness when compared to my rf52II :S 

I have to like a careful about everything I play next as otherwise when cone starts to move like mildly, cone hit sound....

Edited by Sebastian

3 hours ago, Deano1974 said:

Sebastian, I agree with Dtel it sounds like the voice coil has been damaged, contact the seller and tell him your not happy, 

I agree with Deano1974 and Dtel. 

But, since it doesn't make a rubbing sound when hand manipulated, but does with loud music and tones, it may be warning you that if played loudly enough to distort, or just a little louder than previously, it may soon scrape with hand manipulation as well.   

If the seller (or ebay) believes you put too much power through them, it might be hard to activate the warranty.

Just a note: If you get new speakers, be careful!   It's possible to kill anything, even a Klipschorn, which can put out 121 dB, maximum, at 1 meter.*   No maximum SPL is listed for the RP-280f, at least none I can find, but an 8" woofer is an 8" woofer.  Crossing over to a subwoofer at 80 Hz, or even higher, might be more appropriate than 60 hz -- and subwoofers, too, can be damaged, even those with limiters built in to protect them.     Using steady test tones is harder on a speaker than transients of the same SPL, or most music.  The standard advice is to keep steady test tones at low volume. 

I would think your RP-280f would be capable of producing Reference Level PEAKS of ms long (not continuous) for movies which would be a PEAK level of 105 dB at a reasonable distance (10 to 15 feet in a 3,000 cu. ft. room) and a crossover to a sub at the normal 80 Hz, or higher.  Let a good subwoofer do the heavy lifting.  If you use the main speakers without a subwoofer, make sure some subsonic sound is not getting into them.  If you are into vinyl, warped records can produce this in some set-ups (so I'm told).  

Bass boost of + 8 dB is quite a lot.  Had it  been 9 dB, that would have meant that, for bass passages, 8 times the power in watts would have been sent through the speakers, compared to no bass boost.  So 20 watts input would be transformed into 160 watts input.

*My old dealer actually blew out a Khorn with Michael Jackson's Thriller.  There is an internet rumor that Ted Turner blew out some of his speakers with the 1959 version of Ben-Hur

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had a pair of Rp280 for a few years. Since they came out pretty much. And i had them running of a Rotel Ra1592, 2x200 watts for a while. They did very well with that and i now run them of a 1572, 2x120 watts. They could handle the 1592 pretty much cranked all the way up, they mellowed out but never distorted. I know that wasn't the best move but i had to try. 😉

They are very hard to destroy in my experience. Yours must be defect.

They are truly great speakers for the money.

I have said this a lot, but i am pretty convinced you can't do much better at the price.

Obviously my Rf7's kick their ***. But i quite like the rp none the less. 🙂

• Moderators

It sounds like you need more capable speakers for what your trying to do, want bigger louder with more bass, your asking alot out of that model. It should do loud but if you have the bass at +8 you have the wrong speakers, or get a good sub and back off those settings. 

I vote for returning if you can and get a more powerful speaker. IMO

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dtel said:

It sounds like you need more capable speakers for what your trying to do, want bigger louder with more bass, your asking alot out of that model. It should do loud but if you have the bass at +8 you have the wrong speakers, or get a good sub and back off those settings. 

Agree! Have or can you try speakers with a different amp/reciever and different source hook up. 2 subs are better one, cls works if you don't mind used, also diy.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 1:51 AM, dtel said:

Yes, noticed that +8.  That is death to speakers and receiver.  That is causing the receiver to put out almost 8 times the power than normal at bass frequencies.  Easy to exceed power ratings along with overheat both.

• Like 1