Vintage Klipsch Klipschorns stereo speakers primavera (FINAL MARKDOWN) - $2000 (milwaukee)

314carpenter

Marty,

Sorry this didn’t work out.  Other opportunities will arise and your Klipsch forum comrades will again try to help you make it happen.

Not to rub salt in the wound, but an option to purchase might have helped.  I sent an email to the seller on March 17 and got no reply.  They were probably sold shortly after the “FINAL MARKDOWN.”  

My advice to anyone buying from, or selling to, strangers is to purchase, or sell, an option.  Without an option contract, cash is king.  It’s naive to hope that a stranger’s promise to “hold” an item until the buyer scrapes up the cash will withstand the arrival of another buyer with cash in hand.  From the seller’s perspective, it’s naive to turn away an in person cash offer because some stranger assured you he’d be there next week.

While nothing trumps integrity, It’s wise to utilize an option to protect everyone.  For example, I would offer to pay by PayPal $50 to $100 (or more depending) to hold the item for a specified time, such as forty-eight hours to a week.  If the buyer fails to complete the transaction, the seller keeps the option.  If the seller succumbs to the pressure of another cash buyer (which is a breach of contract), the seller refunds the option price.

Among honorable individuals, options protect sellers from turning away real buyers while waiting for “no shows,” and options protect buyers from making arrangements and road trips to collect items that have already been sold.

While on the topic of buying and selling, I NEVER bid on eBay until the last five seconds by way of EZ-Sniper.  Earlier bids only benefit sellers.  The process on eBay is not a true auction where bidders compete until the last bidder is left standing.  The predetermined definite end of the “auction” makes it more like a silent auction where bidders write down what they would be willing to pay, and the item goes to the highest bidder.  Bid sniping works like that with the added benefit of using only enough of your maximum bid to beat the next highest bidder.

Patience Marty.  Turn out the lights, turn up the music, and enjoy your Cornwall decorators.

Thanks Neil for being me with this run at the Khorns. Sadly my 74 Cornwalls left me  about two years ago when, thanks to the Alert Section, I picked up a pair of Khorn decorators for $500.  Ten times what I paid for my Marant8b, but , sigh, I'm sure there are better bargains out their still to be scored by Thebes.:D

I hope anybody who runs across this thread will take Neil's sage advice  on how to deal with a seller to heart. Some of his comments apply equally to anybody here looking to sell something. Honesty, and fair dealing in a hobby with more than it's share of good people, will yield far more satisfaction than some folding green in your pocket.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, thebes said:

Thanks Neil for being me with this run at the Khorns. Sadly my 74 Cornwalls left me  about two years ago when, thanks to the Alert Section, I picked up a pair of Khorn decorators for $500.

Glad to help Marty.  Sorry it didn’t work out.  Decorator Khorns are better yet.  Patience is a virtue.