tracking down distortion

jerryd

Have some klipsch Forte with titanium in both highs and mids. last month noticed distortion in one of the mids. I had my old diaphragms so I installed that in the affending driver. but the distortion is still there. It appears the cause is actually coming from the crossover. is this possible? The crossovers are original. The diaphragms did look fine and  the DCR checked in at 9ohm for all three that I had. blew the gap out with compressed air. 

I've had distortion caused by crossovers so bad that I thought my entire HF section was toasted... I changed the XO's and nothing else and they speakers transformed into the best speakers I had ever heard... at that time.

• Like 1

I've had distortion caused by crossovers so bad that I thought my entire HF section was toasted... I changed the XO's and nothing else and they speakers transformed into the best speakers I had ever heard... at that time.

Same here. Completely new crossovers in both pairs of my speakers fixed all the problems I was hearing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Same here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

thanks for the quick answers guys. great crowd here. I bought new crossover kits years ago from ALK Engineering. couple months ago painted the bases black. thats as far as I got with them. time to get them built. maybe I will hear these speakers like they never sounded before.