BEST USE OF FORTEs

cgolf70

Crazy issue but this is what this hobby does to a sane person!!  :-)  We currently have a pair of Forte 1s (upgraded Crites c/o & diaphraghms) as our TV speakers in our game room.  I also have a pair of RB61ii for rears in our media room. 

I 'm thinking about changing the two out and swapping them.  Put the Fortes as my rears and the 61s as our TV speakers. 

My pain is that the Fortes sound so good I hate to just use them as surrounds but I also think they are being wasted as just TV speakers.

Like I said certainly nothing important or urgent, just a bug in the head!!  Thoughts, maybe something I'm missing?? 

• Moderators

All you play in the media room is TV, or movies and music also ? If you also listen to music in there I would definitely switch them out, probably do it anyway.

I use Forte lll's for L&R mains, Forte ll as a center and rear center, and original Forte's as back L&R, but it's for TV and movies. Plus a sub shared with 2 Ch which is a different setup in the same room.

32 minutes ago, kink56 said:

Forte belongs in a dedicated music system. 

Ideally yes, but at this time that isn't the case.  They are now only being used for TV so maybe I need to get another pair of surrounds, move the 61s to the TV room and put the Fortes in the media room just for music.  But then I will either need to buy another receiver or run two lines to my current receiver/amps.

Need to contemplate!!  :-)

• Like 1

I just bought a pair of 150s for the TV speakers and I'm moving the Fortes into our media room for music.  Maybe fronts for movies too, we'll see.  I am using a Yamaha A860 as a pre-pro with separate amps for a 5.1 system.  If I hook up the Fortes directly to the Yamaha do I need to unhook the front amp (drives my fronts) or as long as the amp is off it's OK to run the Fortes directly off the Yamaha?

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, cgolf70 said:

I'm moving the Fortes into our media room for music.  Maybe fronts for movies too, we'll see. 

I would, to me they are your best speakers.

2 hours ago, cgolf70 said:

I am using a Yamaha A860 as a pre-pro with separate amps for a 5.1 system.  If I hook up the Fortes directly to the Yamaha do I need to unhook the front amp (drives my fronts) or as long as the amp is off it's OK to run the Fortes directly off the Yamaha?

I would think just turn off the amp should be fine.

Edit; After thinking about it I would try it with the Yamaha and then with the other amp, see how the sound compares between the two amps. Sometimes different combinations just sound better together, it would be worth trying to have everything sound the best it can.

I would leave them however they sounded best

• Like 1