K-horn Serial Number Question

itlldue

I have an interesting one here (maybe) that hopefully you can answer.

I have a set of 1989 K-horns that I believe I'm the third owner of.  I bought them from a young lady who had bought them for her late husband, from an audio store that had used them for floor models.  They are oak, and the veneer panels on both look similar.  The odd thing is the serial numbers. They are:

8912225 (top)

8912206 (bottom)

8912207 (top)

8912208 (bottom)

I find it odd that the first top has a "20" later serial number, or could there be a typo somehow?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't get all wrapped around the serial numbers issue.  Sometimes, if there were multiple "matched pairs" of speakers in final assembly/shipping at the same time, then they sometimes ended up with NON-consecutive serial numbers due to the people who were doing the "eye-ball" best match routine prior to boxing them up for shipping.  ALSO, dealers often just pulled from their stock without ever paying that much attention to the "Pair Match" code written on the corners of the boxes...this was not uncommon at all.  It was always a struggle to get the dealers to sell matching pairs as they were shipped...most likely because if a situation like this:  "Hey Bob, go pull a couple of Walnut K-horns for this customer.  It is almost closing time and we need to get them loaded for him"....ya'know?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 4/27/2018 at 10:37 AM, JRH said:

The historian making a cameo appearance:  Another answer may be that the dealer was not paying attention.

Possible, but I seriously doubt a dealer in Fresno, CA would have 20 top halves of a Khorn.

I could be mistaken, though.  They're still in business.  Maybe I should give them a call.