Knight KG250 integrated amp

Trippigs

This is the first tube equipment I have owned. Purchased it about a year ago and have used it sparingly because we moved. Had a little trouble with the rotary selector switch but a shot of Detox seems to fix it. Yesterday it popped  while running it with LaScalas and an AR XA table. The KG was fully warmed it when the popping first happened. It continued at the average of three times per album side. The pops come through the speakers which is concerning. Any ideas as to what is causing this???

Has the amp been restored?  If not, the popping could be caused by almost anything ranging from a resistor/capacitor/bad solder connection to a tube.  It should be checked out by a competent tech.  If you provide your location I may be able to suggest a tech in your area who can help you.

Maynard

Hi Maynard

i am in Hot Springs,AR and certainly would appreciate a name or two. Just last week I took some lightening damaged audio equipment (Hafler DH200 and DH101) to a local technician for an evaluation.....report was not good for my needs so I am selling them. I also took the KG250 and a Knight KG-765 AM-FM-MX for him to check out. He cleaned the KG250 selector switch , straighten some tube pins and pronounced both as working OK. He is a very nice and experienced fellow but I don’t think tubes are his thing. 

I don't know of any techs in your area.  However, a wonderful source of assistance is a local amateur radio club which usually has many older members who know tube electronics better than anyone else.  You are fortunate to have one right in your town!

http://w5hsv.weebly.com/club-activities.html

I'd join those gentlemen for breakfast and I'm sure you will have many offers for help as ham operators are among the friendliest, most helpful, folks you will ever meet.

Maynard

Well how about.....that is smart and I would have never thought about this opportunity. Here are a couple of photos of my workshop setup which is were the Knight equipment resides along with the modified ARXA table and industrial LaScalas. Our home builder made this heavyweight cabinet from leftover wood!

8C5C41FC-D51E-4A0D-9166-809C593796A7.jpeg

• 1 year later...