Klipsch B2 bookshelf speakers & 6 ohm receiver

albert

Well yes mass production does have it's own set of values. Whether those values have any merit is another topic of discussion.

I did come across another older unit whose specs I'm still going over.

Harman Kardon HK 3470

https://www.cnet.com/products/harman-kardon-hk-3470/specs/

Approx. the same price as the ONKYO TX-8020

However I believe it lacks adjustable   cross-over frequencies which may be set to 80.

The Denon AVR-485 with shipping is just under $50.00 apparently an active subwoofer can be connected.  Specs do show  it  supports subwoofer cross-over switching with a choice of 8 cross-over frequencies 40/60/80/100/120/150/200/250Hz. Allowing more accurately match performance characteristics of the subwoofer to the main speaker system.

Yes and no. Thats the issue I have with some of the entry level units you're referencing here. Most were built to mate with HTIBs and packages. They're throw away models designed to get people to continue to purchase from the brand. The Integra I linked was 4 steps down from their top of the line a few years ago, originally msrping for $1k. It's successor MSRPd at $1200. They were built and designed to last.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ok well perhaps you're correct. You're nearly have me talked into getting one.

I see several Integra DTR-40.3 for parts and not working so they do break down at least once in a while.

There is a used one on eBay for $149.95 + 29.95 shipping or a best offer.

It's just If I spend $233.98 with shipping for the DTR-40.3 I would like it to last from 5 to 10 years min. I would say 10 years min. but than may be too much to expect these days.

The website shows a 2 year warranty. Two year warranties you often need to expect perhaps the product will last three years and be required to be replaced on average every three years.

Also the warranty for INTEGRA products is only valid for authorized dealers of factory certified pre-owned products. The owner is responsible for any shipping charges. "All shipping arrangements must be made by you and all shipping charges and insurance must be fully prepaid " 

World Wide Stereo (Outlet dealer – for factory certified pre-owned products)
Accessories4Less (Outlet dealer – for factory certified pre-owned products)

http://www.integrahometheater.com/warranty.php

You're expecting a lot from warranties.  Most companies will tell you that shipping is on you.  The only company I know that will cover it is Yamaha, and nothing under one kay I would recommend from them.

There's plenty of Denons up for sale for parts too, and Yamaha's, and Marantz, and Onkyo, and so on and so forth.  They make these things by the thousands, of course there's plenty that are damaged, and some people pitch them and others try and sell them.  At least for an extra $50, you get a warranty, and a product that is guaranteed to work because the manufacturer made double sure that it's in working order.

Most companies are going to give you either 90 days or 1 year, they're going to expect for you to pay for it to come back to them.  I have never had an AVR crap out on me right after the warranty expired since leaving the entry level.  You get what you pay for in quality and reliability.

Again.  You're expecting too much from the modern market.  I know how things used to be.  I don't go out and replace units frequently, but I know that I'm getting what I pay for and that when I research a product and go with it, it will last.  My entire ensemble of gear save for my tower speakers is used, the newest item is 16 months old, the oldest is over 20.

I'm not sure what you hold up is on the warranty if the units you're examining are offering less of a warranty than the 2 years that the A4L site is offering.

This one seems to have some good specs, only a $150.00 with shipping

PIONEER ELITE VSX-32

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Unassigned-Content/Manuals/VSX-32+OPERATING+INSTRUCTIONS+apr+10

I'm just looking for any viable options and to learn more about what's else is available in my price range.

I prefer to try  to not purchase things in haste as i've done many times in the past. After looking at other receivers potentially will be more satisfied and less likely regret making a decision.

2 minutes ago, albert said:

This one seems to have some good specs, only a $150.00 with shipping

From where?  What about the warranty?  Researching is fine, but you seem to be going back and forth on what's important to you. 

It's from an ebay seller. Tested good, but reported  some sort of static on an Internet connection and wasn't able to connect. Not certain what the seller means my static.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192418134148?ViewItem=&item=192418134148

Continuous average power output of 110 watts* per channel, min., at 8 ohms, from 20 Hz to 20 000 Hz with no more than 0.08 %** total harmonic distortion.

Continuous Power Output (20 Hz to 20 kHz, 8 Ω, 0.08 %)
Front . . . . . . . . . . . . .  . . 110 W + 110 W
Center . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 110 W
Surround . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 110 W + 110 W
Surround back (Front height/wide). . 110 W + 110 W
Continuous Power Output (1 kHz, 6 Ω, 1.0 %)
Front . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  150 W + 150 W
Center . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 150 W
Surround . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 150 W + 150 W
Surround back (Front height/wide). . 150 W + 150 W
Total Harmonic Distortion . . . . 0.06 % (20 Hz to 20 kHz, 8 Ω, 100 W + 100 W)
Guaranteed speaker impedance . . 16 Ω to 8 Ω, less than 8 Ω to 6 Ω (setting required

----------------------------------------------------------

I found some other Pioneers for less however their specs show low THD 0.05   at 1kHz, so it's more important to find the THD between 20 and 20,000 Hz?

e.g. One Pioneer specs show a 0.2 % THD between 20 and 20,000 Hz. and .05 % at 1 kHz. So I can assume this isn't a very good THD percentage? I should be looking for 0.09 % or less at 20-20,000 Hz?

Continuous average power output of 80 watts* per channel, min., at 8 ohms, from 20 Hz to 20 000 Hz with no more than 0.2 %** total harmonic distortion.
Front (stereo) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .80 W + 80 W
Power output (1 kHz, 8 Ω, 0.05 %) . . . . . . 110 W per channel
Guaranteed speaker impedance
FRONT:A, B . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6 Ω to 16 Ω
FRONT:A+B. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12 Ω to 16 Ω
SURROUND, CENTER . . . . . . . . . 6 Ω to 16 Ω
* Measured pursuant to the Federal Trade Commission’s Trade Regulation rule on Power Output Claims for Amplifiers
** Measured by Audio Spectrum Analyzer

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Entegra DTR-40.3 specs show at 1 kHz THD of .1 % - 6ohm  and .7 % - 8ohm

Rated Output Power
All channels: (North American) 110 watts minimum continuous power
per channel, 8 ohm loads, 2 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, with a
maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.08% (FTC)

130 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 6 ohm loads, 2 channels
driven at 1 kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.1% (FTC)

120 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8 ohm loads, 2 channels
driven at 1 kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.7% (FTC)

I'm not certain what's going on with my current Denon AVR-1612 that I disconnected for a few days.

After reconnecting I'm getting audio from both the Aux. and DVD audio inputs.

I also connected the PC via HDMI and which is also producing audio .

I'll allow it to run for a few days to see if there's a problem with circuits heating up. I haven't had the AVR-1612 apart yet. There should be several boards that are inter connected via flat cabling such as an amp board, a board that controls the audio  and possibly another board with micro relay switches that switches  audio output using micro relays.  I would need to take the AVR-1612 a part to discern it's basic design. The service manual for the AVR-1612 can be found online for $10.00 - $15.00. There should also be some sort of diagnostics that outputs error codes.

I think if the problem keeps occurring with the audio working intermittently I'll replace the receiver and possibly attempt to repair the AVR-1612 as there are methods to diagnose audio output problems.  The rest of the receiver working, it seems the only problem is or was with the audio output. I seem to remember some loud popping noises, but never really payed attention and looked into it.

Perhaps somethings going out on one of the circuit boards and the audio output will be short lived.

I've found a couple of what appears to be good deals on "new" open box Onkyo's.

TX-SR353 and TX-8050.

The TX-8050 is on a bidding auction so I'm not certain what it will go for while the TX-SR353 is on a Buy-it-now auction.

To have a valid warranty I believe an Onkyo requires to be purchased from an Onkyo authorized dealer.

But their brand new unused so should have more years of use left compared to a pre-owned.

The TX-8050 an older model doesn't have HDMI but does have pre-outs for a subwoofer and amp. Also comes with Ethernet to connect to Internet radio, etc.

The TX-SR353 has support for HDMI in/out but no support for Ethernet.

After looking around at new opened box and used receivers and AVR's I decided on a Integra Refurb from accessories4less.com.

It really has more than I will ever need as the only thing I have ever connected to a receiver is a TV and monitor.  It's an Integra DTR-20.3 which is 90 watts there is also a DTR-20.4 that's 80 watts for the same price which has more hdmi ports.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr203/integra-dtr-20.3-5.2-ch-x-90-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

I almost purchased on eBay what the seller listed as a new open box Onkyo TX-1050 which sold for around $70.00. The seller said he found it left in a warehouse they moved  into and couldn't really verify it's age and use only that it appeared to be unused in it's original packaging. The TX-1050 receiver first came out eleven years ago.

Also I previously purchased what is listed as a new Onkyo refurb with 90 days left on it's warranty from eBay but later found there is no such thing as a Onkyo refurb that can be sold on eBay as only two online stores are allowed to sell Onkyo and Integra refurbs.  Even stores that sell new Onkyo and Integra products aren't able to sell their rebfurbs.

So it was returned  for a refund. If you see a AVR listed on eBay as a Manufacture refurb take a closer look as some manufactures have strict policies and only allow certain stores and outlets to sell their refurbs. If sold from elsewhere the manu. warranty becomes void.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/outlet.php

Also Onkyo and Integra refurb warranties aren't transferable so if you try to sell a new or used refurb it will have no manu. warranty.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/warranty.php

Someone here recommeded the 40.3 which is similar to the 20.3 with addtional features

Dolby Volume
Dolby Pro Logic IIz (Front High Channels)
Simultaneous or Independently Active HDMI outputs
Front Panel HDMI Input
S-Video Inputs / Output(s)
Phono Input     
Front Panel A/V Input     
Multi-Channel Input

One thing I noticed about these receivers is they have  have a PC IN, meaning you can have your PC's VGA up converted to HDMI.