New (old) SVS PB12-Plus in the house

dubai2000

I know that many people here say that hornloaded speakers need a hornloaded sub - I admit that I have never had the chance to listen to such a sub (perhaps better) - but many years ago I decided to get myself one of the dual woofer models from SVS (if you are familiar with their models we know we are talking quite a few years here) - and I was immediately impressed - not only by its power, but also that -  to my ears and to those people who came over for listening - it integrated well with the horns.

Forward a couple of years - in my current home there are no two corners in the living-room - not good - but the basement came to my rescue - and first I listened there without any sub - surely very nice - BUT after a while I was beginning to miss the subtle drum strokes in a Maher symphony etc. Thus I bought a Klipsch SW 115 - well, it worked but there was no contest with the SVS I had been used to. When its power supply broke down I got it fixed - and then sold it.

Again - one can certainly enjoy Khorn without any sub - but I have found that a properly dialed in subwoofer is a lot more than just more powerful bass notes, it also adds to the transparency of sound, the spatial presentation of music (meaning bigger and more see-through soundstage).

So I kept my eyes open and suddenly a fairly old SVS PB12-Plus turned up - the age didn't bother me at all as I had had such positive experience with those downward firing subwoofers. Well, a four hour drive (both ways) and my girlfriend and I managed to take it down to the basement where I connected it the following day - and.........

Oh, I am a happy camper again - here is what I had been missing - yes, the one chassis unit is less powerful than its two chassis sibling, but the room is smaller than upstairs - and even there it would probably work alright. So for me the search for a sub that blends well with Khorns (in my listening environment and to my ears) has ended. And now I am off to spin a few more tunes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A great find indeed - I have been listening for some time with this Khorn/sub combo and my initial enthusiasm is still there. A bit more finetuning - that was to be expected - but by and large not that tricky - just trust your ears. Today I dug up my CDs of the "Supertramp in Paris" concert. I saw them on the same tour in Vienna and it was my first big rock concert. Listening today brought back a lot of memories. So all in all - this sub really goes very nicely with Khorns - with all kinds of music.

• Like 1