Wattage vs Speaker Rating

dubs

Looking into Emotiva XPA-3, it puts out 275 RMS. My RF-7II’s are 250W RMS, and the center channel I’m getting is 200W RMS. Will the 275 hurt the 200 RMS center channel? Not worried about the RF-7’s 

You should have no worries with your power handling of your center with the Emotiva amp, although it would probably help to know which one. I have an RC-62 ii hooked up to my Emotiva XPA-5 putting out 200 WPC and there is no problem there.

You will never be using all 275 WPC at any time anyways...your ears would fry and your eyes would bleed. I use Emotiva XPA-1 monoblocks with 500 WPC into my KLF-30 with no problems. The power ratings are more of a guideline on both accounts, amps and speakers. I don't foresee any issues.

Tim

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dubs said:

Looking into Emotiva XPA-3, it puts out 275 RMS. My RF-7II’s are 250W RMS, and the center channel I’m getting is 200W RMS. Will the 275 hurt the 200 RMS center channel? Not worried about the RF-7’s 

Wattage rating isn't what KILLS speakers dubs, dirty wattage is! As long as you are keeping the amplifier out of Clipping, you shouldn't have any problems. A friend of mine is putting 535 watts per channel into Klipschorns and La Scalas, and they are rated at 100 watts per channel. On the reverse side of the coin, 100 watts of clipping can definately blow your speakers. I personally ran 250 watts per channel for better than a Decade without any problems, but it is a really good, clean amp!

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dubs said:

Absolutely no worries at all, period.

4 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Wattage rating isn't what KILLS speakers dubs, dirty wattage is! As long as you are keeping the amplifier out of Clipping, you shouldn't have any problems.

Ditto.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1