Mounting requirements for in-ceiling speakers

Jamie Doubtfire

Hi all,

My first post so be kind!

Im about to upgrade my system to atmos with 4 x in ceiling speakers. It will be a 5.1.4 set-up with the in-ceilings probably going to be 3650's to complement my existing Klipsch reference series mains, centre and surrounds.

Ive watched the install vids so I don't have any issues with the 'how to' bit. My concern is about possible damage to the gyprock ceiling (we call it gyprock in Australia - think you guys call it dry wall in the US). The ceiling is standard in every respect - probably 10-12mm thick. 

I'll. probably upgrade my AV receiver to either the Marantz 6012 or the Denon 4400, both of which have reasonable power. Just concerned about possible cracking of the ceiling etc. when running at volume.

is there anything to be aware of or any preventative measures that need to be taken when installing to avoid any ceiling issues down the track?

Apologies if this question has been asked before. I did try the Australian Klipsch dealer but they don't return phone calls,

cheers

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Welcome

It sounds the same as what we use here, drywall. No problems, it would be just a little vibration no real pressure. Just cut the hole connect the wire install and put the cover on it. I did this for my sister, I just stuck a thin wire through the drywall into the attic about where I wanted the speaker then went into the attic to make sure I missed the ceiling joist, adjusted a little cut the hole and moved on, easier that I thought it was going to be.

Nothing to it Eh....oh wait that's Canada.......Your good to go mate....that's better :D

We have a few members here from Australia

Want to visit your country one day, I think I would want to go the the biggest reef in the world as a first stop.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Our sheetrock/dry wall is usually 13mm or 16mm thick, but in imperial dimensions. The 16mm/5/8" is more commonly used in ceilings to prevent sag. 

I've never seen it called a Jab Saw before.  Sheetrock knife, usually, but this is what you need, in addition to a pencil line to cut along and placement near ceiling joists (beams) for support.  The thin blade makes sawing without other damage easy. 

11651-USG-SHEETROCK-Tools-Jab-Saw-01-1k.

It's like Soda/Pop/Soft drink. Drywall/Gypsum board/Sheet Rock/Gyprock. Cool!

@Jamie Doubtfire, I had surface mounts for a while as surrounds. We wanted a more minimal look when we updated/painted. I installed Klipsch ceiling mounts and zero problems 5+ years later. It's as easy as @dtel said.

BTW, it is a Key Hole saw in these parts, not a Sheetrock Knife...but I like the sound of knife over saw, sounds more sinister.  

Irrespective of your method, knife, saw, roto-zip, sawz-all...dynamite....  Be aware & thoughtful of wires that might be traversing above your head, lest you saw into one and have an enlightened moment.

Also helps to know where your joists are running so you don't try to cut your perfect circle, only to find out that you have a ceiling joist cutting across your anticipated hole. 

Might be good to check for nails/screws (hopefully screws) along the area where you are cutting.  Just last week, I was cutting some 6" T&G flooring so we could fix something.  Saw some sparks and as it turned out, the saw blade found a staple/nail that was holding one of the boards (flat style nail) and literally cut it in two.  Now the nail has a "slot" in the head the width of the saw blade.

Love it when I hit a nail with a Freud blade.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

One other thing, in many pro installs they also use a wire, nothing terribly heavy and tie or connect to the speaker. The wire should be long enough to connect to a ceiling joist or something else solid up in the attic that is close. It helps to hold the speaker hanging to connect the electrical wires, but really it's so later if something comes loose it can not fall on someone or anything else. Just a safety wire, nothing special just so it can hold the weight of the speaker.

The only time I heard of one falling was here on the forum, someone had put a few in there garage and one fell on the hood of his car. And he was asking if this was a common problem.

It's not a requirement for home use but maby not a bad idea as it's easy and really cheap.