Maggy question, xover

Ljk

Hope I am not getting in trouble but I have a magnepan question. Bought a pair of smga's I am rebuilding, fixed all the wires yesterday. Tweeter wires where in good shape. Speakers are going to be housed in an oak wood frame I am build out of an old heavy oak door. 

Would it be wise to rebuilt crossovers, simple 2 component xover. ( one cap. and inductor) Would like suggestions for component replacement, cap and inductor. Also want to replace fuse holder with a better quality one, any suggestions and where to buy. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Deang said:

In agreement with @JohnA

Do you know the value of the capacitor?

There is hot glue over capacitor, makes it hard to read. I will search the web tonight see if I can't find the value I will scape off the glue. Would it be worth it to change the inductor, it's an air core on a plastic reel.

Any suggestions on a fuse holder, the one on the speakers is a cheap clip on. Thanks!

On 3/19/2018 at 5:48 PM, Deang said:

In agreement with @JohnA

Do you know the value of the capacitor?

50 uf cap and .78mh 16-18 gauge coil

Would like to go hundred or less. Was thinking clarity cap at 51 bucks, value is 47uf. Would the 47 uf make much difference in crossover point? Could only find one cap at 50 uf which is the Dayton audio, all others where at 47 uf. 

If I do change out the coil would the solen 14 gauge be a good choice?

If they were mine, I’d get the Dayton 50uf and another 47uf cap of your choice.  Try both to see if you prefer one to the other.  To the best of my knowledge, the inductors do not deteriorate over time.  Perhaps I’d change the air in the air cores. ;)  Otherwise,  I would leave them alone.

Good luck with your project.  Photos would be appreciated.

50 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

If they were mine, I’d get the Dayton 50uf and another 47uf cap of your choice.  Try both to see if you prefer one to the other.  To the best of my knowledge, the inductors do not deteriorate over time.  I would leave them alone.

Good luck with your project.  Photos would be appreciated.

Agree the coils don't  deteriorate but I would like to try a bigger gauge coil. Caps are my first concern, on a budget of a hundred give or take, would like to get best bang for the buck now. Xover will be externally mount so experimenting down the road should be easy. I will take pics but not sure how to post, will cross that bridge when I get to it.

9 hours ago, Deang said:

They may have used that sized coil deliberately. Might be better to use a better quality coil, but leave it the same size. So, is it 16 or 18?

I wouldn't be afraid to use a 47uF, it's almost within 5%.

I got the values off an xover diagram I found online. That is the only info I found on coil,16 18 guage hand wound coil. ( I wondered the same thing)

Clarity caps received good remarks for the price, looked at duelund Wow out of my price range. I was thinking 2 clarity caps at 51bucks each and 2 solen pro 14 gauge coils about 20 each. Does that look like a good combo for the money? Can't go higher right now but if there is a cheaper combo that would work as well please let me know. Still looking for a good fuse holder, any suggestions. Thanks!

1 hour ago, awsjr said:

I used an 50uF auricap capactor, solen litz inductor, 14awg .75mH,  and mills resistor when I rebuilt mine...

smg xo.gif

Thanks for posting the diagram! Where did you purchase your parts? If find a coil I like they don't have a cap I want, don't want to paid  twice shipping if I don't have to. 

Did you replace /remove fuse holder?

1 hour ago, JohnA said:

That is the strangest crossover diagram.  Are you sure that is correct? 

yes, the schematic is correct and from Magnaplaner...

I got the 50uF auricap from "cranky Dean" many years ago when he was dealing...

I would just order a 51uF capacitor,  the inductor and a Lynx resistor all from Solen...  https://solen.ca/

did not replace the fuse holder but did replace the fuse with a HiFi gold fuse..

8 hours ago, awsjr said:

yes, the schematic is correct and from Magnaplaner...

I got the 50uF auricap from "cranky Dean" many years ago when he was dealing...

😄 That's funny. I've decide to try the duelund jam caps at 55. bucks each. I'll do the rest of the upgrades in a month or 2 and go with a 12 gauge coil, shouldn't be to hard to do since the xover is going to mounted outside the speaker.

The smga crossover is one or only one magnepan does in series, most other magnepan speakers use parallel crossover design. People seem to like the sound of the smga design.