Plumbing question (1/2" copper)

Coytee

Setup:  In the kitchen, we have a wall (duh!)  On the other side of this wall is a bathroom.  Contained in this common wall is the water supply/drain for the bathroom lavatory.

On the kitchen side of this wall, we're going to add some floor cabinets and a secondary sink.  I've broken into the wall to see what I'm up against.

The existing copper lines come up through the floor plate. One is close enough to the left stud that I will not be able to get a pipe cutter in there.  The other one is close enough to the back drywall (bathroom side) that I "probably" won't be able to get my cutter in there.  Irrespective of that, they need a TEE installed in them so I can create some water supply on the kitchen side of the wall.

Worse come to worse, I can always pull out a saw and cut things off but, don't want to (bathroom side has a copper support strap soldered to each supply making it pretty firmly attached without creating more issues on that side of the wall)

Each line coming out of the floor plate has a union which brings me to my question.....

In general, is it easier/better to heat/remove the existing union (and replace it with a TEE) or cut them and install a TEE in close proximity to the union?

I personally prefer fewer connections however, this is so close to the wall, I'm not so sure I'll be able to get all the old solder off and that will make mounting the TEE quite a bit more difficult.  Although I have replaced a fitting after melting the solder to remove it, this is near touching the stud and it's a tight space for me and my MAP gas....  

So, what say you....  de-solder the union or cut a new spot?

(both have issues, if I cut a new spot, I'll have to cut it twice to compensate a bit for the addition of the TEE and, if I leave any burrs on the part next to the wall, it will be a real PITA getting it to fit (since I have so little space to work))

Nothing wrong with sweating off a coupling.  I doubt you have a union in there.  Maybe post a picture and I can give you alternate ideas.  If you saw cut copper you may egg shape it and leave burrs which may be hard to get off depending on how much room you have.

Didn't think about cutting the stud....  interesting thought.  I would have to remove more drywall...  might be difficult on the bathroom side.  That room has some 'treatments' where she hand applied various shades to get what she wanted.  Also (and I don't THINK it exists in this area) most of the walls have little art-deco things done to them where she attached a picture frame to the wall and inside the frame, put down some kind of fabric.  So the room has various "squares" spaced along the walls with this fabric treatment done.  Leaving the internal wall intact would be important.

House on slab or crawl space?  HA!  none of the above!!  It's a walk out basement (so I guess that makes it a slab)  Bathroom in question is on the 1st floor (middle floor).  Room underneith is finished basement (not going to break into ceiling) and room above is bedroom/bathroom.

I know it's a union, I"ve already opened the wall.  He had something like 8" stubs coming out of the plate, then mated them to another section...

Will try to get picture later on, I just got back from trip into town.

Right now, I'm thinking on trying to sweat it off.  Put something protective between the pipe and stud.  Take it off and go from there...

Funny how she always thinks these projects will "be done by noon"

Project is defined as deconstruct not one, but two openings to the kitchen.  One was in fact done in about 30 minutes (other than nail pulling).  The main one though has several sets of wires going to it.  Then of course, we have the plumbing situation....

All of this because she thinks it will look better if she can see the island from a certain seat.....  I told her to just move the darn island!

1 hour ago, Rivervalleymgb said:

House on a slab or crawl space? I replace all copper with PEX. If you cut it and feel it is too close to solder, use Shark fittings instead. I have never had a problem with this type of fitting.

Used PEX for the first time in our bath re-model. Seems a foolproof, water tight alternative to copper and solder. I suppose the only drawback is in the specialty tools themselves. Not sure it's value for a one time install but if you see more of this work in your future then yes. My step-son had the full PEX kit so it was a no brainier -

3 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

a union

there ya go !

I was going to say, a dremel type tool will work to cut it off  

If the space is that small, sweating may get tricky.

Just have a fire extinguisher handy.  If he has unions like he says he has (I really doubt it though) it will be easy to get a T in there.

24 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I've smoked up some 2x4's pretty good but never had a flame run up a wall (thankfully).

After the smoke dies down and it appears to be out when you went to bed that night did you get much sleep wondering?
JJK

• Haha 2

Just now, JJkizak said:

After the smoke dies down and it appears to be out when you went to bed that night did you get much sleep wondering?
JJK

Nope, I hold wet rags on them for quite a while afterwards.  Not all were done at my house either.  I check them multiple times after I'm finished.

• Moderators

The easiest way is to just say, can't be done, no second sink. :huh: But if you do just sweat the fitting and move on, you have insurance right, you have a giant yard pitch a tent while the house is rebuilt with 2 sinks ? :o

• Haha 1