Plumbing question (1/2" copper)

Coytee

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I think plumbing is a very divisive subject, and should be banned from this forum, forever.

This is the other kind of plumbing, not the kind we can't have pictures of here. :mellow::)

• Haha 1

Union / coupling....  you're as bad as my wife.... "you know what I meant"  (isn't that what they always tell us in spite of us trying to teach them that words DO matter?)

Ok, you're right...  it's a coupling.  I appreciate the clarification.

Here's a picture....  interesting...  I took a picture of the walls in the bathroom and suddenly can't find them.

Oh well, here's a ceiling shot.  You can see some 'framing' on the wall.  The lower portions have the fabric background in then.

Yes, we have Cherubs floating about in the bathroom, keeping an eye on everyone who dares to enter.  Ceiling was hand painted, walls were hand painted and then finished with the fabric things...  the crown molding is made up of seven (yes 7) pieces on each wall to get it built up the way she wanted it.

So I'm not going to do anything that messes up this room.

Back to copper...  because of that strap, everything is held in place as a single unit.  I might have to take more apart to get the coupling separated.  There is zero room on the left for my little copper cutter to squeeze in there (the small type for tight spaces).

Bath1.jpg

Bath 2.jpg

I'm assuming it's the cold water that's next to the stud that you're having issues with.  You should be able to heat both of the 90's up to where the solder is molten in both and roll the 90 closest to the stud clockwise (looking down from the top).  That will swing the other 90 off the pipe by the brace.  Be sure there's absolutely no water in the pipe or you'll never get them loose.

• Moderators

I would do what Max suggested, I would cut out the stud, if your worried cut over to the next stud and add a cross piece to support the one you cut out above the plumbing with a support a little away from the stud you cut out. Or just put the piece back after you change the plumbing with another piece screwed to the side of the cut one, across the joint. 

Drywall is just as easy replacing a 3'-4' wide piece as a 2' foot piece.

I was a little afraid to look at the pic after all that wife and coupling talk. :huh:

37 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Yes, we have Cherubs floating about in the bathroom, keeping an eye on everyone who dares to enter.  Ceiling was hand painted, walls were hand painted and then finished with the fabric things...  the crown molding is made up of seven (yes 7) pieces on each wall to get it built up the way she wanted it.

ONLY you Coytee, and what's that thing sticking out the wall in the left corner ? That room would scare little kids.

37 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Is that possible, it's way past a bit odd to start with ? :o:P

8 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm assuming it's the cold water that's next to the stud that you're having issues with.  You should be able to heat both of the 90's up to where the solder is molten in both and roll the 90 closest to the stud clockwise (looking down from the top).  That will swing the other 90 off the pipe by the brace.  Be sure there's absolutely no water in the pipe or you'll never get them loose.

This is going to be good, I hope he gets a video of all of this, it should be funny. :D Coytee has a way of having strange things happen to him, but not as bad as USN.

You could also take an oscillating tool and cut a hole in the stud large enough to swing your mini cutter around the pipe but you'd have to chisel behind the pipe where the cutter wouldn't reach.  If you could expose the other side of the stud it would make it much easier.  The dual outlet shut off pictured above would be the easiest solution unless you have a pedestal sink.

Interesting (regarding the dual outlet)....  so you are suggesting I attach my supply line (I usually use braided) from the secondary output and run it back THROUGH the wall and then simply connect them to their respective hot/cold connectors.

This would essentially leave everything in the wall intact and make the bathroom my focal point if I ever need to do work here.

Interesting thought...  I don't "love" the idea (I'm OCD about some things and controlling something from another room would take some getting used to BUT...  it would fix several issues too....)

hmmmm....

The wall behind the vanity (which is really a repurposed dresser).  I forget the name...  the dresser has a pronounced bulge in the front and uses curved drawers.  Point being, it would hide all the sins.

2 minutes ago, Coytee said:

so you are suggesting I attach my supply line (I usually use braided) from the secondary output and run it back THROUGH the wall and then simply connect them to their respective hot/cold connectors.

Yes and no.  Do everything above but do NOT use braided hose.  Use solid 3/8" copper tubing with compression fittings.  You can buy a cheap coil spring type bender to help you avoid kinks.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:
11 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I've smoked up some 2x4's pretty good 

I thought you might be a partier :D

That's huge, he must buy those huge papers like Cheech and Chong, he's a wild man.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Coytee said:

I forget the name...  the dresser has a pronounced bulge in the front and uses curved drawers.  Point being, it would hide all the sins.

I would fire that dude and dress myself ! :o

15 hours ago, Coytee said:

Union / coupling....  you're as bad as my wife.... "you know what I meant"  (isn't that what they always tell us in spite of us trying to teach them that words DO matter?)

Ok, you're right...  it's a coupling.  I appreciate the clarification.

Here's a picture....  interesting...  I took a picture of the walls in the bathroom and suddenly can't find them.

Oh well, here's a ceiling shot.  You can see some 'framing' on the wall.  The lower portions have the fabric background in then.

Back to copper...  because of that strap, everything is held in place as a single unit.  I might have to take more apart to get the coupling separated.  There is zero room on the left for my little copper cutter to squeeze in there (the small type for tight spaces).

Bath1.jpg

Bath 2.jpg

Wow, you live in the Sistine Chapel?  No wonder you're having plumbing problems.....