Plumbing question (1/2" copper)

Coytee

The 'vanity' in the bathroom is a reconfigured Bombay chest.  I pulled two drawers out and modified them to fit around the -plumbing  The third drawer is fixed in place and non-operable.  (it actually turned out pretty nice)

Sistine Chapel....  yeah....you can contemplate a lot of things in there.

As for the thing in the back corner, it's yet another Cherub that is hung from the ceiling.  Not only good for scaring little kids, it will make the adults weird out too....seems it has eyes that keep staring at you.

• Like 1

You could notch that half way down with a decent, long jigsaw blade to get the T in there.  Just sand it flush so it wont make any noise. It should flex enough once cut to get a wet rag behind it before you slip the T in to sweat.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Dear commode, please bless this poop that you are about to receive.....................................

Very apropos with the install of a new toilet the other day, waiting for its christening. Thank you Father -- 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max2 said:

You could notch that half way down with a decent, long jigsaw blade to get the T in there.  Just sand it flush so it wont make any noise. It should flex enough once cut to get a wet rag behind it before you slip the T in to sweat.

He'd have to use a slip t and his cut couldn't deform the pipe at all.  You have to be careful when you sweat them in that the t doesn't slide down the pipe.  You also have to be sure they're centered on the cut as there's no notches to let you know if it's in the right spot or not.  The pipe won't bend enough without kinking to get a conventional t in there.

As I contemplated....  (with the Cherub staring at me).... I think I'm liking the copper tube idea more & more.  I've never used it but for the water supply to the fridge (1/4" as I recall)

Anyway, what would be the pros/cons of flaring the end?  I don't mind buying the flair tool if need be (I'm guessing my wife's cousin next door probably has one I could borrow for such short use)

Also...  I was scratching my head on why copper tubing instead of braided??  The braided would need a larger hole to go through the wall (point for tubing)  The braided though would then screw on to both ends (point for direct connection and getting away from compression ends)

• Moderators

I don't think 1/4" would be big enough. I think what Carl was talking about is copper tubing just like the water feed now with the same kind of connections on each end like you already have. It would be easier to put through the wall, for one thing. Sweating fittings would be out in the open away from studs and probably the best way to go 18" of 1/2" copper and fittings to go in the ends. Just like a jumper through the wall with standard fittings on each end and you could still put a shut off valve under the new sink..

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

As I contemplated....  (with the Cherub staring at me).... I think I'm liking the copper tube idea more & more.  I've never used it but for the water supply to the fridge (1/4" as I recall)

Anyway, what would be the pros/cons of flaring the end?  I don't mind buying the flair tool if need be (I'm guessing my wife's cousin next door probably has one I could borrow for such short use)

Also...  I was scratching my head on why copper tubing instead of braided??  The braided would need a larger hole to go through the wall (point for tubing)  The braided though would then screw on to both ends (point for direct connection and getting away from compression ends)

You're fridge supply is too small for this.  Use 3/8" tubing.  There's no need to use flare fittings like gas pipe.  Compression will never leak and is easier to assemble.  Slide the nut on the tube, slide the Ferrell on, coat the Ferrell with pipe dope, slide the tubing into the stop until it bottoms out and tighten everything up.  Use a back up wrench on the shut off valve when you tighten the nut.  I would never use any hose, braided or otherwise in a wall.  I believe it's against code here but I haven't had a code book out in years.  The braided line would also be hell to replace if you ever had an issue down the road.

• Like 1

I guess I was vague...  I know fridge line is too small.....  when the house was built, they used one of those (1/8" ???) clear plastic lines with a saddle valve.  Took me a while to find that.  Once I did, it came out in lieu of the double outlet of which you speak above....  Point being, I'm aware of the different sizes, I was just saying I had only used copper tubing once in my life and that was on the fridge supply.

To be more accurate....  since the basement was unfinished at the time, I pulled off a line downstairs and ran a 1/2" copper line over to the base of the fridge.  Popped it through and put a shutoff valve there (finally getting rid of any saddle or double valves under the sink on other side of room).

Regarding braided in/through wall...  I'm willing to go with it's not allowed.  It would however, be easy to replace (I'm presuming we're talking about the same thing here)

I'm referring to the braided supply lines that would go from your shutoff to toilet or shutoff to sink/lavatory faucets.  If it ever had an issue, you simply undo the end, pull through wall and replace, viola....done.  (that doesn't mean that it's not frowned upon).  I just see it as very easy to deal with as long as the hole in the wall would allow for the nut to pass through.

None the less...  if your knowledge is that the tubing would be allowed and the braided would be frowned upon, I'm willing to roll with that. 

It's like using an extension cord in a wall.  It might work but I could never bring myself to do it.  I've seen braided washing machine hoses leak and these supplies are no different.  You don't want a slow leak in your wall and the copper tubing will never let you down.

4 hours ago, Max2 said:

Did I miss if the line was in concrete or its  a crawl space?

I might have been vague.  The house is on a slab (no crawl space) with a walk-out basement.  The room in question though, is on the 1st floor and the pipes exist inside stud walls.

Though I have access to both sides of the wall, the bathroom side is one of the fancier rooms in the house so I don't want to break into any drywall there.  I already have the kitchen side opened up (pictures attached in prior comments)

Looking like the copper tubing is getting the winning vote.  Next, I have to cut open the drain to insert a Y adapter so I can put a drain in on the kitchen side.

(for clarification if it helps....  the kitchen has a traditional 2-tub sink on the back wall.  On the side wall, she's going to add some more cabinets and put a little bar sink.  It is for this that I need to add water and a drain.

Since we are talking plumbing, fittings, lines, leaks etc. do any of you turn off the main water supply when you're away for an extended period of time? Even with braided supply lines to toilets, washer, etc. I have gotten into the habit of securing the house and then shutting the main water line as we leave. Better safe than sorry ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richieb said:

Since we are talking plumbing, fittings, lines, leaks etc. do any of you turn off the main water supply when you're away for an extended period of time? Even with braided supply lines to toilets, washer, etc. I have gotten into the habit of securing the house and then shutting the main water line as we leave. Better safe than sorry ??

The only supply hoses I have are on the washing machine and I normally shut those off if we're gone for an extended period of time.