2 subs better than 1?

dubs

@wvu80 I just purchased a Denon 11.2 X6400H(140-145w RMS). I chose this due to all 3 new formats out of the box, and eARC coming in future FW update. Plus, I can pull off 7.2.4 without having to get an extra amp. I will probably get a parasound/emotiva amp for my Towers at some point, but I like it’s a one stop shop, and enough power for what I use it for(for now)

I have a pair of RF-7II’s and that’s about it. Haha. I did have a put the box Klipsch 5.1 setup which I ditching and getting the RC-64III and either 2 subs with it, or 1 sub, and 2 surrounds. I took my old front L/R’s and put them in my surround backs. So currently I have a 7.1 with 2 RF-7’s and a out the box klipsch bookshelf set. Need to upgrade. I do like clear surround. But great bass would kick *** too. Not sure. Like I mentioned above. I stream most content which is in 2ch stereo. But I do steam a lot of Netflix/iTunes/DTV now which has newer audio immersive formats. Tough call. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dubs said:

I have small book shelf surrounds, wonder how much better the sound is coming from a bi-direction surround vs mono-directional speaker? I’m sure it comes down to just quality of speaker

If u have workable surround speakers then get the 2nd sub and change surrounds later.  I find the wide dispersion surrounds to be the coolest part of the klipsch lineup but they are really beneficial if the main listening spot is about 6 feet or closer to them because it helps prevent the sound from blasting right in your ear.  But even still a bookshelf will work imo up until about 4 feet away at which point its too close.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2018 at 1:15 AM, dubs said:

I can get a good deal on some RP-160M Bookshelf speakers for surround backs. That way all I have left to get is two surrounds (RS-42II)

I don't know about every AVR but after 3.1 to go to 5.1 to my Marantz requires the next two speakers to be SIDE surrounds.  It won't let me place BACK surrounds until the sides are active. When I say "Marantz" I mean Audyssey. 

You can place the speakers in the back but Audyssey will identify them as side surrounds.  Because of my weird room configuration and WAF when I ran 5.1 or 7.1 the back speakers were placed up on top of a tall hutch near the ceiling and fairly close together.  I thought it still sounded good but definitely not optimal.

5 hours ago, dubs said:

I just purchased a Denon 11.2 X6400H(140-145w RMS).

Superb choice.  That has 11 discrete amps which gives you the flexibility to run any configuration you want.

You never regret buying the best. 

• Like 1

To be clear, we are talking about purpose built subwoofers, optimized for 80 Hz and under, preferably 40 Hz and below.  They can be DIY, Kit or factory built, but should be spec'd to play down to 20 Hz with RF-7s.