Heresy III tweeks

Jim G

I just bought a pair of Heresy III's   I need advice, please. They are in a small bedroom, about 10 x15, carpeted.  I read conflicting blogs, "raise them up' leave them on the floor, etc. The soundstage is fantastic!  I have a Prima Luna 37w/c,  I am just looking for straight advice. I sold PSB T-6speakers, they were nice but I wanted to try the Hereseys as they are a little smaller. Also no subwoofer, space is limited!

Thanks in advance!!

If you will be sitting 8ft away, and the speakers are up against the short wall, I would keep them on the floor, ~6ft apart CTC, and adjust toe-in to your liking - in a range from crossing slightly behind you to slightly in front of you.  You could also try them in the corners of the short wall, which would be about 8ft apart CTC, but then definitely toe them in so they are pointing at you or slightly in front of you.

• Like 1

Thanks again! I am listening now, I think they sound great!  I have a Thorens TD 160 super with 2m blue. 2ch only. Your systems sound awesome! I wish I had more room....We are in a townhouse, and I have to make due. Are there any other groups or blogs you might recommend? I see you have a Schiit dac, , I read their phono pre amp is a great bargain, I have a Pro Ject, any thoughts? I am on limited budget, I think ProJect sounds good, but maybe a change might be good.

Good talking with you..

I see you are in Chicago land, I now live in Georgia, but I grew up in Naperville, lived and worked there for over 52 years, small world!

Edited by Jim G

I found the use of closed cell foam wedges to be inexpensive and effective.  The speakers are tilted back just enough to aim them at the seating position on the couch a few feet away.  The photo of the loaded car shows the wedge shape as they are being used to protect speakers during travel.  A local foam shop cut a block into two wedges.

D412A544-46E2-45C0-9EA8-539D179F1942.jpeg

830E9BAA-595A-482C-813E-0F8F6750BCC3.jpeg

• Like 2

Cool - The H3's are fantastic fun speakers that can blow out your townhouse if you want - no need to think you are making due.

I don't have it listed in my signature but I do have the Schiit Mani phono preamp driving my VPI turntable - sounds great.  My analog path is VPI (ortofon blue) --> Schitt Mani -->. Schitt Sys passive pre-amp --> McIntosh amp.  Klipsch speakers are so sensitive, an active preamp is not needed.  I think Schiit makes the best gear for the money - the Bifrost multibit (I have the older 4490) is amazing for the price.

I have no experience with Project Turntables but I believe they are good value.  Are you replacing your Thorens or is this for a new system?  Again, the ortofon 2m blue is fantastic for the price IMHO.

For blogs, this site has a lot of knowledgable folks and it gets entertaining often.  There's also a large contingent of old farts with hearing aids that won't hesitate to tell you what tweeters sound the best, but they mean well :-)   I also lurk on avsforum, psaudio, and Roon.  this is a neat site I found recently:  http://archimago.blogspot.nl

I'm in Downers Grove.

On 3/20/2018 at 9:15 PM, pbphoto said:

There's also a large contingent of old farts with hearing aids that won't hesitate to tell you what tweeters sound the best, but they mean well :-) 

We do mean well, in fact, I use a Mean Well LRS-350-48 as the power supply for my TPA3255EVM class D chip amp, which powers my DIY “Super Heresys.”  The wealth of available knowledge and expertise goes well beyond hearing aids and tweeters.  We also tolerate hipsters and Millennials who think they discovered that dragging a semi-precious stone across bumps in vinyl is the only way to reproduce music. :-)

E128B3F8-2101-48CB-A447-9633EA1A91E7.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/20/2018 at 8:11 PM, DizRotus said:

I found the use of closed cell foam wedges to be inexpensive and effective.  The speakers are tilted back just enough to aim them at the seating position on the couch a few feet away.  The photo of the loaded car shows the wedge shape as they are being used to protect speakers during travel.  A local foam shop cut a block into two wedges.

D412A544-46E2-45C0-9EA8-539D179F1942.jpeg

830E9BAA-595A-482C-813E-0F8F6750BCC3.jpeg

Diz...did you make these or is this a product made for speakers???...I have seen a product similar to what you describe but I thought it was a much smaller wedge...

Bill

• Like 1

Bill

I had the local foam store make these from remnants of dense closed cell foam.  First 4” thick rectangles the approximate dimensions of the speakers are cut.  Next those are cut in half from front to back.  The cut is at 1” from the top in the front on a diagonal to 1” from the bottom in the back.

@silversport

• Like 1