Suggestions/Help with a Setup

JohnK

I'm new to all of this and was looking to slowly build a decent system for my living room. I was contemplating the Denon AVR-X4400H and then either going with 4 R28F (2 front 2 rear, not much of a fan for bookshelf speakers), sub, center, and then later on down the line maybe add some upfiring speakers for atmos. Thoughts, suggestions, etc. Is the Denon good enough to handle that?

Any thoughts on this at all? Would the speakers work good with the receiver. Im open to suggestions in an upgrade on any item? ie huge difference in R28F to RP 280F thats worth the current price difference R28F on sale for 324 RP280F is 599. Or is it overkill for the room I am putting this in which is approximately 20x15

Edited by JohnK

JohnK, I have a demon x4300h driving 2 Heresy, 2 MARTIN Logan Clarity, 1Martin Logan Theater I center channel, 2 small Bose height speakers and a Velodyne DD10, so you should be fine. I don’t have experience with newer Klipsch. Sounds like you want to do HT and the denon can do multiple modes incl 2 channel. So, I suggest don’t skimp on mains and center channel and a small sub. 

1 hour ago, MC39693 said:

JohnK, I have a demon x4300h driving 2 Heresy, 2 MARTIN Logan Clarity, 1Martin Logan Theater I center channel, 2 small Bose height speakers and a Velodyne DD10, so you should be fine. I don’t have experience with newer Klipsch. Sounds like you want to do HT and the denon can do multiple modes incl 2 channel. So, I suggest don’t skimp on mains and center channel and a small sub. 

Thank you. Yes mostly for HT but will listen to some music as well.

2 hours ago, willland said:

@JohnK,

Welcome to the forum.

If you can afford it, I suggest you go all RP series speakers instead of the Best Buy "Reference" speakers like the R28F.

I think the Denon 4400 is plenty for most applications and your room size.

Bill

Thank you Bill.

3 hours ago, willland said:

@JohnK,

Welcome to the forum.

If you can afford it, I suggest you go all RP series speakers instead of the Best Buy "Reference" speakers like the R28F.

I think the Denon 4400 is plenty for most applications and your room size.

Bill

Would the RP-280F's be overkill for rear speakers? If I go 4 RP-280F would I need any additional amplification. I know these questions are probably stupid, but I just wanna make sure. I appreciate your time.

23 hours ago, JohnK said:

Thoughts, suggestions, etc. Is the Denon good enough to handle that?

Hi John, welcome to the Klipsch forums.

The Denon is a fine AVR but for the same $1400 the flagship Marantz SR7011 from 2017 is also a good choice.

I never get tired of recommending the Marantz SR6011, last year's model marked down from $1400 to $1000 and there are still a few out there.  The 6011 has enough amps onboard to run 9 speakers and will support 5.2.4.  They are known to work really well with Klipsch.  They have a really smooth sound and they have a reputation for working better with music than the Denon.

Take the money you would save and invest in upgrading to the Reference Premier line.

Disclaimer:  I have never heard the Denon 4400, I own the Marantz 6011.

51 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Hi John, welcome to the Klipsch forums.

The Denon is a fine AVR but for the same $1400 the flagship Marantz SR7011 from 2017 is also a good choice.

I never get tired of recommending the Marantz SR6011, last year's model marked down from $1400 to $1000 and there are still a few out there.  The 6011 has enough amps onboard to run 9 speakers and will support 5.2.4.  They are known to work really well with Klipsch.  They have a really smooth sound and they have a reputation for working better with music than the Denon.

Take the money you would save and invest in upgrading to the Reference Premier line.

Disclaimer:  I have never heard the Denon 4400, I own the Marantz 6011.

That was one of the AVR I was looking at. I may be wrong but in my research the Marantz SR7011 & the Denon X4400 are "sister" AVR's and practically the same. The only difference I saw was the Marantz has HDAM and is a better choice for music whereas the Denon was a little better for movies. Granted I'm indulging in both movies and music I was leaning Denon as I found it a little cheaper. I might have to see if I can find a place to test both of these out.

Edited by JohnK

2 minutes ago, JohnK said:

The only difference I saw was the Marantz has HDAM and is a better choice for music whereas the Denon was a little better for movies.

That seems to be the accepted generalization.  In general also the Marantz is considered to be the "higher end" of the two, but they are both owned by the same company.

What kind of price are you seeing for the 4400?  Amazon shows $1300 and the Marantz 7011 is at $1400.

The Marantz 6011 will also do everything you want and more for $1000.

The one trend I see for the newer AVR's is support for Alexis and the other voice activated protocols.  Other than that the wpc and other audio codecs are pretty much the same.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

That seems to be the accepted generalization.  In general also the Marantz is considered to be the "higher end" of the two, but they are both owned by the same company.

What kind of price are you seeing for the 4400?  Amazon shows $1300 and the Marantz 7011 is at $1400.

The one trend I see for the newer AVR's is support for Alexis and the other voice activated protocols.  Other than that the wpc and other audio codecs are pretty much the same.

Denon 4400 on ebay around 1100 Marantz 7011 on ebay $1370

4 minutes ago, JohnK said:

Denon 4400 on ebay around 1100 Marantz 7011 on ebay $1370

Denon new stock, on Ebay?  That's unusual.  I would be worried that would be gray market.  You want to be sure you get the factory warranty.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

Denon on Ebay?  That's unusual.  I would be worried that would be gray market.  You want to be sure you get the factory warranty.

I did another look through. There is one seller with high feedback selling a Denon with factory warranty and stating they are an authorized dealer for $1300

• Like 1

John your assessment of the Marantz vs Denon lines is what most folks arrive at. The Marantz are a bit more expensive, you decide if it is warranted. I got the Denton X4300 as Best Buy was clearing inventory when the 4400 was coming to market, big mark down. If you have the time wait for a sale if buying new.  There aren’t many Marantz SR that show up on Canada Audio Mart either, and that like all used markets is buyer beware! If you can listen to both and check features you really Need, then wait for a good price. Good luck hunting!

• Like 1

What's your opposition to bookshelves?  I've compared my RB-81s to my RF-7II's and found that the 81's hang pretty well at moderate volumes.  

I think the Denon you're looking at would be just fine.  I like my 6300, but honestly think that my older Pioneer SC-1323 sounds cleaner to me.  The Denon runs much hotter than my Pioneer also so i had to buy a separate fan since it is inside of a cabinet.  

FWIW, the order i purchased my gear was:

1. Main speakers (2 channel)
  2. Subwoofer
  3. Center Channel
  4. Surrounds
  5. Atmos

On 3/20/2018 at 10:40 PM, wvu80 said:

Accessories 4less has the Marantz 7011 for 1050. You can always contact an online dealer like @MetropolisLakeOutfitters, they might have a price close to that. I bought an svs sub from him and can not recommend him enoug and he is an authorized dealer.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr7011/marantz-sr7011-9.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

• Like 1