Will this set up play nice together? Newbie to Klipsch

aunttieem

We are building a new home.  There will be a home theater system in the great room which is 25' l  x 22' w x 13' h.  There is an offset fireplace so TV is offset just a bit. Not really any "solid" walls to place in-wall speakers.  With this in mind we have opted to have 6 speakers in the ceiling. 2 fronts, 2 surrounds and 2 atmos down firing.  We are planning to use either 6  CDT-5800-C II  OR  2  CDT-5800-C II for the front l/r and 4  CDT-5650-C II for the surrounds and down firing Atmos, so that we can "aim" to proper place for optimal sound.

Not sure which center, looking at the  RP -450, RP-440, or RP-250.  Just not sure which center is needed for size of room.  This will set just under the 70 -85" TV.

Sub woofer is another that I am not quite sure what size we should consider for the same room.

We are also looking at the Denon AVR-S730H receiver.  Is there a better receiver or will this do the job?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance!!

Edited by aunttieem
added possible receiver info

@aunttieem,

Welcome to the forum.

10 hours ago, aunttieem said:

There will be a home theater system in the great room which is 25' l  x 22' w x 13' h.

Not sure which center, looking at the  RP -450, RP-440, or RP-250.  Just not sure which center is needed for size of room. 

IMO, with that size room, RP-450C all day.

At 7150 ft^3, you also need some serious subwooferage.

We are also looking at the Denon AVR-S730H receiver.  Is there a better receiver or will this do the job?

IMO, very weak for that many speakers and that huge of a room.

Bill

51 minutes ago, willland said:

IMO, very weak for that many speakers and that huge of a room.

Agree, although I don't fault the OP for thinking he had enough power.  Denon brags the AVR-S730 has 165 wpc.

However that is with ONE channel driven, at 1 Khz, 6 Ohms, with TEN PERCENT distortion.  Who plays their AVR with only ONE channel driven?  Very deceptive marketing if you ask me.  :angry:

I had to go to the Denon site and dig into the specs to find it is actually 75 wpc with TWO channels driven, 8 Ohms 20 Hz to 20 Khz, at .08 distortion.  Once you start adding speakers I doubt you get more than 50 wpc leaving NO dynamic headroom.

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrs730h

I suggest a budget in the range of at least $1000 to $1500 to get the power and features needed for such a nice dedicated theater room.

On 3/19/2018 at 10:27 PM, aunttieem said:

We are planning to use either 6  CDT-5800-C II  OR  2  CDT-5800-C II for the front l/r and 4  CDT-5650-C II for the surrounds and down firing Atmos, so that we can "aim" to proper place for optimal sound.

Not sure which center, looking at the  RP -450, RP-440, or RP-250.  Just not sure which center is needed for size of room.  This will set just under the 70 -85" TV.

If at all possible, try not to do this.  Your center channel is going to end up being 11 feet away or more from your mains which is bad enough.  Mixing your surrounds and overhead Atmos is not a good idea either, it's all just going to jumble in together and your center will be off in no mans land by itself.  Stick with traditional towers for the front if at all possible if you want a traditional center channel.  If possible, try to lower the surrounds especially if you want Atmos.  If you must stick with in-ceiling, maybe consider the THX system, they have some in-ceilings that were meant for LCR's and surrounds that were meant for actual surrounds, I'd do that before I had my mains on a 13' vaulted ceiling and a center close to the floor.  

On 3/20/2018 at 6:57 AM, wvu80 said:

... However that is with ONE channel driven, at 1 Khz, 6 Ohms, with TEN PERCENT distortion.  Who plays their AVR with only ONE channel driven?  Very deceptive marketing if you ask me.  :angry: ...

They have no shame.  Are there any honest makers of AVRs left?   Makers of separate power amps seem to be more candid.  The SAME manufacturers!  What does that say about the manufacturers' opinions of AVR consumers? 

Two possible solutions:

• Never buy an AVR (or amplifier) unless there are bench tests in magazines (e.g., Home Theater, or Stereophile) or online, showing the RMS power per channel, with all channels operating, at 8 Ohms, 20 to 20,000 Hz, at a low level of distortion.  Checking to see if it can get  your speakers to produce Reference Level SPL at the Main Listening Position, might be a good idea.
  • Encourage HT and Stereo retailers to do such bench tests, and make the results available to the public.  In these days of buying online this might be hard to pull off.  The stereo stores I used to patronize (1964 -- 2004) did that, and I never bought an amplifier or preamp that was not thoroughly tested before I walked out of the store with it.   That includes Dyna, McIntosh, Luxman, Yamaha, and NAD.

• Like 1

That is the exact AVR that I have.

I'm driving RF7-ii, R25C, and R15Ms for surrounds. Also hooked up are two SW12 subs.

It will go over 105 db, plenty loud enough for HT.

My listening room is 13 x 22 x 8' with speakers on the short wall. MLP 8 ft from mains.

The amp does suffer a bit in headroom at max listening levels, but is fine at normal levels.

I recently added an old Kenwood with 125wpc for music, makes the RF7's really wake up.