Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Shaun K

CS-1 build

Recommended Posts

About 18 months ago I picked up some Heresy I in raw birch.  The cabinets are pretty ratty, but they sound great and the drivers/crossovers are in good shape.  This week I bought some empty Heresy cabs in black that are very nice.  I think I'm going to swap all the components over to the HFB cabs, which leaves me with some ugly old cabs to play with.  I'm thinking a CS-1 project is in order, but I need to decide on woofers (among other things).

 

Are the K22/K24 preferable, or is the K28 a better choice?  Then there's also other options like this: https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-beta-12a-ii-12-driver--290-408.

 

I'm hoping to just cut the existing motorboard to fit the larger horn, but if that's a bad idea I'm all ears.

 

Any other recommendations or tips for a project like this?

 

 

 

 

 

 

01616_hL8vb8t55Mp_1200x900.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive had CS1s they sound fantastic. I think it a worthwhile build for sure.

Use Bobs 12" or the eminence 12LFA.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, justinsweber said:

Ive had CS1s they sound fantastic. I think it a worthwhile build for sure.

Use Bobs 12" or the eminence 12LFA.

Thanks, that's good to hear.  Did you cut the existing motorboard to fit the new horn, or build a new one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shaun K the front motorboard can be knocked out fairly easy from the back side. Be gentle and you wont harm anything. Try to cut for the new horn configuration. If you ruin it, I'll cut you a new one (or two). No charge.

Now you don't have an excuse, get to cutting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

@Shaun K the front motorboard can be knocked out fairly easy from the back side. Be gentle and you wont harm anything. Try to cut for the new horn configuration. If you ruin it, I'll cut you a new one (or two). No charge.

Now you don't have an excuse, get to cutting.

So just tap it out gently, cut, and then glue/screw it back in?  Or am I missing something there?

 

Now that you mention cutting motorboards, I'm thinking that just buying new ones would be a good route...then I could preserve the original boards if I ever wanted to go back.  How much would that set me back? :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That works.  I’ve knocked out old motor board with a block of wood and a hammer.  Buy the motor board and reglue in. Maybe even drill some kreg screws in.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Shaun K said:

So just tap it out gently, cut, and then glue/screw it back in?  Or am I missing something there?

 

Now that you mention cutting motorboards, I'm thinking that just buying new ones would be a good route...then I could preserve the original boards if I ever wanted to go back.  How much would that set me back? :D 

It wont set you back anything. Get me the dimensions and the next chance I get, I'll route em out for ya.(may be  a week or two)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2018 at 7:04 AM, MookieStl said:

It wont set you back anything. Get me the dimensions and the next chance I get, I'll route em out for ya.(may be  a week or two)

Wow, that's really kind of you.  I'll knock out one of the boards ASAP and get all the measurements once I have the new horns here (they're out of stock at PE until March 30, so it'll be a couple weeks)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:07 PM, Shaun K said:

Wow, that's really kind of you.  I'll knock out one of the boards ASAP and get all the measurements once I have the new horns here (they're out of stock at PE until March 30, so it'll be a couple weeks)

let me know which horn and I can get the spec of PE website. I have a pair of Heresy so don't need the other numbers (you are reusing the K22 and going two way right?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MookieStl said:

let me know which horn and I can get the spec of PE website. I have a pair of Heresy so don't need the other numbers (you are reusing the K22 and going two way right?)

It's the Selenium HM25-25: 

https://www.parts-express.com/selenium-hm25-25-1-exponential-horn-90x60-1-3-8-18-tpi--264-312

 

Specifications: • Horn type: Exponential • Minimum frequency: 1,200 Hz • Nominal dispersion: 90° H x 60° V • Throat diameter: 1.0" • Mounting type: 1-3/8"-18 TPI • Dimensions: 10.79" W x 6.46" H x 5.94" D • Cabinet cutout: 4-5/8" H x 9-1/4" W • Selenium #HM25-25.

 

I was planning to go with either the Eminence Delta-12LFA or the Crites CW1228.  These are empty cabs so I don't have any drivers or crossovers to work with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:31 AM, justinsweber said:

Ive had CS1s they sound fantastic. I think it a worthwhile build for sure.

Use Bobs 12" or the eminence 12LFA.

https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-delta-12lfa-12-low-frequency-driver--290-416

 

I have heard good things about this driver from other members as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me know when you decide on the woofer, and I will get the boards cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MookieStl said:

Let me know when you decide on the woofer, and I will get the boards cut.

Having a hard time deciding...I have all the specs on the 12LFA but not a whole lot on the CW1228.  Anyone have a preference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Shaun K said:

Having a hard time deciding...I have all the specs on the 12LFA but not a whole lot on the CW1228.  Anyone have a preference?

Doesn't look like anyone wants to  make up your mind for you! I have not used either BUT have used the 15" version of both in different pairs of Belles. I was impressed with both and cannot really give you a clear winner. I guess the answer is that you have narrowed the field down to two good choices and there really isn't a wrong answer. Flip a coin or go for the Eminence and save a few bucks. I have never had a bad experience with Bob so that a good choice too. How is that for a noncommittal answer!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2018 at 8:28 PM, MookieStl said:

Doesn't look like anyone wants to  make up your mind for you! I have not used either BUT have used the 15" version of both in different pairs of Belles. I was impressed with both and cannot really give you a clear winner. I guess the answer is that you have narrowed the field down to two good choices and there really isn't a wrong answer. Flip a coin or go for the Eminence and save a few bucks. I have never had a bad experience with Bob so that a good choice too. How is that for a noncommittal answer!!!

Haha, thanks for clearing it all up for me :D .  I think I will go with the Eminence drivers for now, but I'm still going to have to source crossovers and that will probably be from Bob.

 

I'd order everything right now but the HM25 horns are still out of stock even though they were supposed to be available yesterday.

 

I guess the other thing I should look at is some diaphragms to go with the horns and drivers.  Any recommendations there?  I guess this is the right choice? https://www.parts-express.com/selenium-rpd220ti-8-diaphragm-for-d202ti-d220ti-and-d2500ti--264-276

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I should read the product descriptions instead of just looking at pictures...looks like the diaphragms come with the drivers :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...