Good Price for Set of Used RF-7 II?

nola000

I can only listen to one of them right now because my other channel was fried during a lightning storm.

I need to get in there and fix that other channel. Can anyone point me to where I should look first? Cap? Transformer? Transistor?

^ You mean, how does IT sound? Like I said, I have a channel out so I can only hear one at a time right now.

I would say Im a little disappointed. Its bright. I know thats the Klipsch sound but I was expecting more low end thump stepping up from the RF-3s that Ive had forever to the RF-7s. I loved my RF-3s but I wanted more strength on the lows in 2 ch. I have the RS-3s and RC-3s that went with my RF-3s in my surround setup but I dont have a standalone subwoofer and Im about 95% 2 ch. music to 5% movie surround. I was hoping that the RF-7s would blow away my RF-3s with chest pounding kick drums and rock me to sleep with bass guitar notes. 

Im wondering how much of this is my setup. Ive never ran any EQ at all on my home sound. Ive got a B&K Reference 50 pre with a B&K AV5000 5-ch amp @ 105W-125W/channel. Its all pure signal with no adulteration. Im wondering if I need to EQ and push more power to get the RF-7s to vibrate. I noticed with my RF-3s that with tracks that had strong bass the RF-3s would bounce. Ive only ran the RF-7 through one track so far.

I used to run my RF-3s off my Hegeman Hapi 2 with my Jennings Research "The Amp" @ 200W/channel. It might have been my imagination but that shit sounded sweet. Had to modernize so I could utilize my my surround speakers and interface with all my devices and the Jennings amp had a really nasty turn-off thump.

On 3/21/2018 at 10:56 AM, WillyBob said:

Those LaScalas, of mine, will wait until Sept for me to get them. Unless I know someone with a lot of room headed this way.  I'm just saying, I could. Not am.

I bought them a month ago. Listening to a pair of entry level bookshelf R15M's for now. 

I look at their pictures...  that's pretty sad  HaHaHa

You will love your La Scalas when you get them! Amazingly sensitive and perfectly accurate! Problem is, you hear ALL the loose connections too! My RCA inputs to my Phase Linear 400 power amp then into my La Scalas are giving me FITS!

John Kuthe...

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2018 at 6:59 PM, nola000 said:

All right. I got them. 12 driving hours later and one sore lower back.

Anybody know how to breakdown the serial #'s on these to find any interesting info like date of manufacture?

Also, they say "RF-7-II BSTOCK" on the label on the back. Does this mean these were factory rejects?

Good  pickup on the 7's.  It would have been nice if the Seller would have included that info up front, in terms of pricing.

++

Please list the s/n. 

+++

B stock is typically a functional set of speakers with some kind of cosmetic defect that did not pass inspection.  It could be a stain that did not match properly, it could be scratch.  For most people the defect is hard to spot and is not usually noticeable.  The biggest deal on B-stock is they sell for a lower price as A-stock.

15 minutes ago, TasDom said:

He's not going to find info for his Reference speakers in the Heritage codes...

I thought the most recent s/n code applied to Reference as well, but I guess not.  1998-Present YY WW ####.

Thanks for the clarification.  I deleted my link so I didn't create confusion.

They look great to me!  good find.  Bright and no thump - doesn't sound like RF-7II (well I suppose they might be a bit bright, especially if the music/recording is bright, and the amp is "bright"). Maybe  your amp has more problems besides a dead channel?  Hopefully the speakers are ok.  Maybe it's just 1 RF-7II isn't happy :D

If you're anywhere near Austin TX, you can borrow my NAD C272 or come by and listen to my RF-7II and see if they're bight to you here in my messy family environment, not conducive to good sound at all but still sounds good to me ;)

We had massive lightning/thunder storm here last night and this morning. My equipment seems ok, whew.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:49 PM, nola000 said:

t^ You mean, how does IT sound? Like I said, I have a channel out so I can only hear one at a time right now.

I would say Im a little disappointed. Its bright. I know thats the Klipsch sound but I was expecting more low end thump stepping up from the RF-3s that Ive had forever to the RF-7s. I loved my RF-3s but I wanted more strength on the lows in 2 ch. I have the RS-3s and RC-3s that went with my RF-3s in my surround setup but I dont have a standalone subwoofer and Im about 95% 2 ch. music to 5% movie surround. I was hoping that the RF-7s would blow away my RF-3s with chest pounding kick drums and rock me to sleep with bass guitar notes. 

Im wondering how much of this is my setup. Ive never ran any EQ at all on my home sound. Ive got a B&K Reference 50 pre with a B&K AV5000 5-ch amp @ 105W-125W/channel. Its all pure signal with no adulteration. Im wondering if I need to EQ and push more power to get the RF-7s to vibrate. I noticed with my RF-3s that with tracks that had strong bass the RF-3s would bounce. Ive only ran the RF-7 through one track so far.

I used to run my RF-3s off my Hegeman Hapi 2 with my Jennings Research "The Amp" @ 200W/channel. It might have been my imagination but that shit sounded sweet. Had to modernize so I could utilize my my surround speakers and interface with all my devices and the Jennings amp had a really nasty turn-off thump.

I have a set of cherry RF-7 lll's and when I first got them set up I to was a'lil disappointed, they sounded good but not 4x the price of my RF-800' good. First I had them hooked up to an Onkyo AVR rated  at 100wpc 8 ohm so I decided to get more power for them. Looking for best "bang/buck" I went with a Crown XLi 1500 pro amp (330wpc@8ohm) and a Cambridge DACMagic Plus for pre-amp,Hooked everything up with some AudioQuest Forest interconnects and fired it up.

This is when I had my " HOLY SHIT " moment. If the 2's are like the 3's... feed them power you wont be disappointed.

• Like 1