Emotiva or Yamaha for RF-82 II

Rakkmutt

Hi there, currently looking for an amplifier (integrated or separate) for my RF-82 II's. 

After some time searching i have found the integrated Yamaha A-S801 or separate Emotiva BasX PT-100 and BasX A-300 that both seems like a good match.

Any opinions on these, or any other amps that would be a good match in the same price range? Both are around 1200$ in my country.

Unless you're talking about Emotiva XPA amps or UPA amps, pass. Get the Yamaha. I have a friend that has the A-300 and has regretted it. He has more demanding speakers, but the BasX lacks authority where the other lines would shine. The Yamaha will serve you better of the choices mentioned.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Emotiva or Yamaha?

Hmmm, how about nails on chalkboard or spike through ear?

JK, are those really your only choices? You couldn't slip a nice tube integrated into the budget somehow?

Those ain't my only choices, but got a 800$ gift card on a store that sells those brands along with some other (Marantz, Hegel, Rotel and Onkyo). The tubes there are 4k plus.

Could get a good deal on a Rotel A 14 there, if that's a good fit with those speakers?

I don't have any experience with the A-300 or PT-100 but I own a lot of Emotiva products and have not been disappointed yet. Since Emotiva has a 30 day money back guarantee, why not try the Emotiva? If after a couple of weeks you are not satisfied it costs you nothing to return them and you go Yamaha.

Tim

• Like 2

• Moderators

I don't care what anyone says, I have and had both Emotiva 3 pieces and Yamaha one. You can not make blanket statements about any company, not all models are the same as with any company. The 3 Emotiva pieces worked as well as any for twice the price, the Yamaha is about 18 years old and works 100%.

I'm not talking about on junk speakers.

Yes there are Yamaha's that are not good usually the cheaper models, like most companies.

Better, of course there always is, but sometimes higher prices means nothing, each model can sound different. If you read here you can see certain models stand out and it's not always the most expensive.

Sorry, just don't like blanket statements, it's false and misleading. If you remember at one time Yamaha had a terrible reputation for sounding flat or thin, but as people tried them they found it was not true and they got a better reputation almost immediately.  You just can't call a brand bad because of "the one you tried in your room, with your ears and speakers", yea that makes sense, must be all bad.

Maby I will get up on the other side of the bed tomorrow in a better mood ? we will see :mellow:

Rakkmutt, I am not trying to talk you into either of these brands, go to your dealer and listen to different models for yourself, with the speakers you have if possible. If not something that sounds close or at least on the same set of speakers, and decide for yourself. You are lucky to have a place like that.

r

• Like 3

I like my a-300 amp very well and it works great FOR THE MONEY. Its not magic and I'm sure there are better amps but for my system and my tired old ears it makes me happy! FOR THE MONEY. I love music an don''t  change much in my system as long as it makes all the clean clear sound required by me.

• Like 1

I like a good Yamaha amp, they in general tend to have a good clean neutral sound with a bit of muscle.  I also like how robust and reliable they have been for me personally over the years.

I have not used/listened to Emotiva.  Seems like good bang for the buck.

I have read many times that Marantz typically has good synergy with Klipsch, so maybe research that a bit since it is an option for you.

Rotel ... costly IMO, and the sound of the Rotel's I've heard were thin sounding to my ears.  Perhaps not a good match for Klipsch. Happy to be wrong on that :D

Anyway of your options, my list would be shortened to Yamaha and Marantz.  Can you demo them in your space on your speakers?  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bkevind said:

I like a good Yamaha amp, they in general tend to have a good clean neutral sound with a bit of muscle.  I also like how robust and reliable they have been for me personally over the years.

I have not used/listened to Emotiva.  Seems like good bang for the buck.

I have read many times that Marantz typically has good synergy with Klipsch, so maybe research that a bit since it is an option for you.

Rotel ... costly IMO, and the sound of the Rotel's I've heard were thin sounding to my ears.  Perhaps not a good match for Klipsch. Happy to be wrong on that :D

Anyway of your options, my list would be shortened to Yamaha and Marantz.  Can you demo them in your space on your speakers?  

Not really able to demo. Got a 50% deal on Primare I22 but didn't like the sound at all. Managed to exhange it in a gift card at the same store after a long talk with the manager.. 

Well thanks for replies all, ended up ordering the Yamaha A-S801, seems to be a good bang for the buck in this price range - and Emotiva had 3+ months delivery. Currently borrowing my dads old Sherwood AD260B while waiting for the delivery, which i think sounds pretty nice on these speakers :D

• Like 2

On 2018-03-21 at 1:46 PM, Rakkmutt said:

Those ain't my only choices, but got a 800$ gift card on a store that sells those brands along with some other (Marantz, Hegel, Rotel and Onkyo). The tubes there are 4k plus.

Could get a good deal on a Rotel A 14 there, if that's a good fit with those speakers?

Rotel are good but IMO you can never go wrong with  Marantz.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2018 at 10:20 PM, dtel said:

Had a bad experience ? Which was it so we can watch out for it. :mellow:

Bought an Emotiva amp as a temporary replacement while I had my Yamaha amp restored by Skip at Legendary amps. I noticed a definite difference in sound quality from the Emotiva compared to my M80. Although there was no way these amps were comparable in wattage or build quality the price was cheap. While I was using it it crapped out and one of the channels quit so i threw it in the trash and bought an Adcom 60 watt per channel amp to replace it. Never had a single problem from the Adcom and the sound was really good compared to the Emotiva. I still have the Adcom and actually bought a preamp-tuner for it to use in an office room or den. I believe the Emotiva was an A200. I bought the Adcom for 60 bucks and the Emotiva for 50. The Adcom is a gfa 535.

On 3/21/2018 at 2:38 PM, Shakeydeal said:

Emotiva or Yamaha?

Hmmm, how about nails on chalkboard or spike through ear?

JK, are those really your only choices? You couldn't slip a nice tube integrated into the budget somehow?

Pretty harsh criticism of Yamaha, why do you not like it? Their modern stuff leaves something to be desired but the vintage stuff is incredible in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, The History Kid said:
8 minutes ago, Ducatiman916 said:
Pretty harsh criticism of Yamaha, why do you not like it? Their modern stuff leaves something to be desired but the vintage stuff is incredible in my opinion.

Because the op isn't talking about the older stuff.

Exactly. The older Japanese stuff from the 70s was not bad. A far cry from what you get today.

Shakey