Amps

dubs

I have Klipsch RF-7II’s. Looking for Klipsch RC-64III. Two  Klipsch R115 subwoofers. And, two RP-250 surrounds. I would do shipping. More interested in speakers first, but if I can find good deal on a high powered 2-3 channel amp then I’d buy it as well. 

7 hours ago, dubs said:

I have Klipsch RF-7II’s. Looking for Klipsch RC-64III. Two  Klipsch R115 subwoofers. And, two RP-250 surrounds. I would do shipping. More interested in speakers first,

but if I can find good deal on a high powered 2-3 channel amp then I’d buy it as well. 

The RC-63 III is hot off the presses (less than a year), it will be pretty hard to find one on the used market this soon.  Is there another center you would accept, so we can keep our eyes open for you?

As far as amps are concerned @teaman stays pretty current (get it?  :rolleyes:) on what's out there.  Maybe he will weigh in and offer some suggestions.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fuzzydog said:

RF-7II's dont need that much power.  125 watts can produce deafening volumes.  

I would suggest an Outlaw Model 5000.  It's a 5 x 120w@8ohms and 5 x 180w@4ohms with all channels driven and 2 x 170w@8ohms full band width.

https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/5000.html

https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/outlaw-5000

Excellent bang for the buck amplifier.

Bill

I power my KLF-30's with Emotiva 500 WPC XPA-1 monoblocks and with every step up in amp power the speakers seem to react better each time. The control over your drivers and low end will be much improved over a receiver in most situations. 

If you are looking for a three channel amp, check out Ebay for used Emotiva XPA-3's. They can be found in the vicinity of $600 with remainder of the five year warranty so you can have piece of mind with your purchase. 200 WPC will do wonders for your RF series speakers.

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dubs said:

RC-64II. And 115sw. Those are my main goals. I wanted to order the newer version of center channel, but budget is forcing my decision. 

Both solid choices.  I have the RC-64 ver1.  It's pretty good.

+++

As far as amps go I believe you got the Denon 6400.  It does run 140 wpc but that is only with 2 channels driven, but still no slouch.  If you ever ran all 11 channels you would be lucky to get 50 wpc and at that point I think the external amp would substantially help the sound.

I recently picked up an Emotiva XPA-5 200 wpc to all 5 channels driven.  The pre/pro is my Onkyo 717 w/110 wpc 2 channels driven.  I think most of us (not my wife who couldn't tell the difference between my Khorns and an AM radio) can easily hear the substantial difference in sound with the external amp.

The point to me though is if you look at two TV's at Walmart side-by-side you can see one has better blacks, more vivid colors, etc but when you get either TV home, it doesn't matter.  You get used to whatever you have.

I like my power hungry CF-4's with the big power amp but even powered with the AVR, they still sound pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I think most of us (not my wife who couldn't tell the difference between my Khorns and an AM radio) can easily hear the substantial difference in sound with the external amp.

That is classic Dave....lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dubs said:

Okay, so no need for an amp then.

I wouldn't go that far.  Most receivers dont produce nearly the output they claim...especially as more speakers are added beyond 2 channel.  

I noticed a distinct improvement when i added my B&K amplifier.  

• Like 1

I use heresy ones and 4 ki-102’s for sides and rear and I have use marantz amps with 120 watts and how only using 60 from my amps and the sound is just as good. Most of us would and do play the HT system at ear bleeding levels, but when the wife and kids are there they complain about it being to loud. So now I just go for the balance between the two. With Klipsch you don’t need all that power. I buy and sell tons of used gear and anytime I find amps and speakers that are no longer working it’s always the same answer. Man I play it with 250 / 300 watts all the time and don’t understand why I keep killing my speakers and amps. Lol. Well you don’t need to play it at level max plus one to enjoy the music or movie

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The point to me though is if you look at two TV's at Walmart side-by-side you can see one has better blacks, more vivid colors, etc but when you get either TV home, it doesn't matter.  You get used to whatever you have.

Exactly, I bi amped my RF-7ii’s for now, but I’d like my front sound stage (L/C/R if not the wholet 5.1) to be getting 200watts continuous.

I’m a deal hound. I’ll wait until something comes by at a good price. If you don’t mind me askin, where and how much did you get the XPA-5? I’m trying to budget ballpark. 

I think center channel is the next purchase. Or, center and subwoofer. At this point I may just get one 15”. But if I do that the wife will see the sheer size of that woofer and say hell No 2 a second. So it’s either get 2 right out the gate or be okay with just having 1 for the foreseeable.