Amps

dubs

1 hour ago, dubs said:

I’m a deal hound. I’ll wait until something comes by at a good price. If you don’t mind me askin, where and how much did you get the XPA-5? I’m trying to budget ballpark. 

I picked up the XPA-5 from a nurse somewhere around Washington, DC.  It was a XPA-5 Gen1.  It was not a CL sale, some local ad site that someone alerted me to.

@teaman is far better on Emotiva prices than I am, but I would budget around $600 for a used one.  Tim, can you comment?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah Dave, I think you can still find plenty of three and five channel amps in the $500-$650 range depending on age and remaining warranty. If you use hifishark.com, buya.com,  and searchtempest.com you can cover a lot of the bases for new listed amps for sale. Some of the best deals are buy it now offers where the seller is below market value and it becomes first come first served.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dubs said:

I’m a deal hound. I’ll wait until something comes by at a good price. 

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/d/mondial-acurus-a200-amplifier/6517313578.html

I am using one to drive my RF-63s and @Youthman to drive his RF-7IIs.  Can you say thump?:D

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is a guy in Woodstock that is selling an emotiva amp, pre amp and sub for sale for 800. Go to atlanta cls under electronics and do a search for oppo. Towards the bottom there is an ad for b & w speakers and emotiva gear, 1900 dollars in Woodstock. He has 2 bundles 2nd is for emotiva gear for 800. I would posts a link but since tablet upgraded I can't find the clipboard. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ljk said:

There is a guy in Woodstock that is selling an emotiva amp

While being close is a huge bonus, I would take the Acurus A200 over the Emotiva XPA-200.  Now the ad says XPA-2 but the amp shown is clearly an XPA-200.  I would actually take the A200 over the XPA-2 also.  

With that said(my opinion of course), the Bundle 2 deal seems pretty decent but would negotiate with seller since the amp is "only" the XPA-200.  At least point it out and see if he can work with you.

Bill

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2018 at 8:17 PM, dubs said:

But if I do that the wife will see the sheer size of that woofer and say hell No 2 a second.

You've got to ease them into it, one large speaker at a time. Eventually, another big speaker doesn't seem so out of place with the rest and you avoid the big shock of consuming a ton of floor space all at once.

I went from an RW-12 to a DIY Cinema F-20 sub to a Cinema F-20 sub + two TH SPUD clones.

And RF-5's to Heresy's on stands to La Scalas.

Now she doesn't seem to care if I stick a Heresy above the TV for a center.

It's all about the incremental long game.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2018 at 10:19 AM, carlthess40 said:

I’ll see what comes up this weekend
But you know whit that list of speakers, they don’t need that type of power, unless you have them in a 2500 q.f room or larger.
But I’ll let you know

So, since my living room is well over 2500 cubic ft, my RF-5s and RC-7 would greatly benefit from a power amp?  

Yes you would but it also depends on how many watts your receiver has , but with your speakers they don’t need a lot of power
You would benefit from byamping your speakers. You may get better detail out of the speakers. You could get away with 60 watts on each input