SoCal people interested in Khorn restoration project?

klu93

Hey all, a newbie here who might have bitten off more than he can chew. I’ve been in contact with a retired electrical engineer who is selling a 1956 Klipschorn and a Klipschorn clone that he built himself using the same components. Both have been in his garage for who knows how long. I’ve currently taken the mid range horns home (his garage was too cluttered to get the bass bins out). He’s dropping the bass bins at my place on Saturday. Is anyone interested in restoring these? I don’t think I have the know how to restore these. So far I deposited $500 and the understanding is I’m buying them for $1000. Will upload pics in a bit. I live in downtown LA and Ye seller is in San Diego area. Alternatively if someone knows of someone in the SoCal area with restoration experience who can offer help that'd be great.

as a start, pictures of the 1956 mid range horn here:

https://imgur.com/a/XvOSI

Edited by klu93
Made mistake

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum.

10 minutes ago, klu93 said:

So far I deposited $500 and the understanding is I’m buying them for $1000 but I think I can negotiate more so any pricing tips will be appreciated.

I'm all for negotiating but IMO, when you decided to take bass bins home, at that point, you have agreed to the $1000 asking price.  If you try and negotiate after you have part of the product in hand, that could be considered a ransom.

Regardless, best wishes on your acquisition and possible sale of them. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, klu93 said:

...So far I deposited $500 and the understanding is I’m buying them for $1000 but I think I can negotiate more so any pricing tips will be appreciated...

I'd have to agree with Youthman regarding your pricing tip request.  You have already agreed on price AND he is delivering them to you.  San Diego to downtown LA is what, a 16 hour drive with traffic???  Ok, maybe not that long on most days, but still -- LA traffic??  I know I would be pretty upset if someone tried to re-negotiate after we made a deal and I just spent a good part of my Saturday delivering those large speakers.  My suggestion to you would be to be a man (or woman) of your word and follow through on your commitment.

• Like 2

Edited out the negotiation part you guys are right. Meant it more like FYI if someone else wanted them I could tell Jerry to stay put and connect that person to him. Thought that'd be okay but having read your comments I can see how that scenario would also be reneging on an agreement.

Edited by klu93