12volt amplifier for la scala vintage

kortland

• Moderators
4 hours ago, SiliconTi said:

They need very little power.

One of the Class T chip amps may do the trick. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Home-Mini-Audio-Amplifier/dp/B0071HZ5EQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1521734443&sr=8-4&keywords=class+t+amp

I did that for a while, a little T-amp connected to a car battery with an old Walkman for cd's, but a phone or I pad would work also.

It was very surprising how much sound they would put out, 100 db was fine, just be careful with the volume, they tend to make alot of distortion if you go to far with the volume.

Wasn't exactly LaSala's but close, DIY Split LaScala tops with mwm bottoms but the same load to push as a LaScala, all the same drivers AA crossovers. Completely portable, used them for years like this, good sound and you could bring them anywhere.

mwm.,. (2).jpg

• Like 1

Parts express has a full line of 12volt gear

Preamps. Amps and dps system boards

You can also use a good Quality car amplifier and head unit. But you will drain the batteries down pretty fast. You can even use a alpine or kenwood 2din head unit that plays a true 45 to 50 watts and you will even have a DVD player and all that jazz

a good car audio amp will do . Most today are digital. You can get used ones on most local classfied pretty cheap. Pioneer, Alpine, rockford fosgate are good makes. There are many. You will have to connect to car ground and battery with hefty wire.. 8 gauge minimum.   Depending on the use,  like many said, they are very efficient you only need a few watts. what about a 12 to 120 v inverter and a normal amp/receiver?   

Or just use a car am/fm head unit.. also for sale used  cheap..   most will put out 25wpc x 4  peak      a good 15 watts pc clean.  

• Like 1

If you’re off the grid you must be a handy DIY person.  If I were you, I’d get a SURE class D board or, as has already been mentioned, a TDA7297 chip amp.

The boombox in the photo contains a SURE 3110 Class D board and a 12v SLA battery.  It’s much less efficient than La Scalas and still plays louder than reasonably necessary.

Also in the picture (in front of left speaker) is a TDA7297, also powered by 12v battery power.  It will play Heresys, again less efficient than La Scalas, loud enough to summon the police.

Buried beneath the mess of cables is a TPA3118 Class D board built by Gary Marsh and offered as the “Wiener” on the diyaudio forum.  That board is also content with 12volts.  

You have many choices to power extremely efficient La Scalas.  The numerous variables regarding budget, input sources, vendors, etc. are too many for this format.  Feel free to ask further questions through a PM.

0C9F6B7C-2335-4312-94F3-1F67BF68330C.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

You can also use a good Quality can amplifier and head unit. But you will drain the batteries down pretty fast. You can even use a alpine or kenwood 2din head unit that plays a true 45 to 50 watts and you will even have a DVD player and all that jazz

28 minutes ago, efzauner said:

Or just use a car am/fm head unit.. also for sale used  cheap..   most will put out 25wpc x 4  peak      a good 15 watts pc clean. 

I forgot about that, a car radio is what I use in the tiki bar outside with some Heresy's and it works great.

It's a Pioneer supertuner that had pre-outs and connected to a crown D-75, but you can not hear the difference with the crown connected or not. I keep a old car battery under the bar with a trickle charger on it. It was a battery that would not start a car, but it's been working fine under the bar for the radio for over 3 years now. The nice thing it plays CD's and has a plug for 3.5mm standard headphone jack I plug in a phone or I pad to stream music. Just set it to aux 2 and stream music, works great out there. It's under a roof but I went with the car radio because of dampness, I didn't think a receiver would hold up out there.

I just made a box to hold the car radio and amp and it slides in a space made for it under the bar, sounds good really.

image.jpeg

• Like 1