wristwatches

T2K

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

The good is that we all have clocks built into our cell phones.  

The bad is a wristwatch is duplicitous and adds no utility to life.

The ugly?  Spend your money on some earrings.

I don't own a cell phone. I have a landline at home. I refuse to be part of the brainwashed masses that have to constantly stare at their phone. But you've got to admit selling millions on the idea that they need a cell phone that they constantly have to upgrade and pay associated monthly fees has got to be one of the greatest marketing ploys ever devised.

Back to watches.

Keith

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, T2K said:

Anybody know anything about Invicta wristwatches? The good, the bad, the ugly? Thanks.

Keith

Not very well thought of by the WIS crowd. All my high end watches are automatics, except for one manual wind. No real need these days for a watch, but that does not stop people with an appreciation for the finer things in life form owing one (or several). On the other hand it is like music if you like it, it is all that matters. Don't think for a minute that the big discounts you see on Invicta is an indication of a deal. They never sell for retail. God help you if you want to resell it.

I've got a few Breitlings, an Omega, Cartier plus several micro-brands. If you have watch specific questions fire away or PM me. My personal advice would be to say far away from Invicta unless it really speaks to you.

1 hour ago, T2K said:

I don't own a cell phone. I have a landline at home. I refuse to be part of the brainwashed masses that have to constantly stare at their phone. But you've got to admit selling millions on the idea that they need a cell phone that they constantly have to upgrade and pay associated monthly fees has got to be one of the greatest marketing ploys ever devised.

Back to watches.

Keith

Cell phones are not just toys for everyone.  Some people conduct business on them.  As an attorney, I'd say my cell phone is probably the best bang-for-my-buck overhead money can buy.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, rplace said:

Not very well thought of by the WIS crowd. All my high end watches are automatics, except for one manual wind. No real need these days for a watch, but that does not stop people with an appreciation for the finer things in life form owing one (or several). On the other hand it is like music if you like it, it is all that matters. Don't think for a minute that the big discounts you see on Invicta is an indication of a deal. They never sell for retail. God help you if you want to resell it.

I've got a few Breitlings, an Omega, Cartier plus several micro-brands. If you have watch specific questions fire away or PM me. My personal advice would be to say far away from Invicta unless it really speaks to you.

Can your "automatics" change the time zones by themsevles? Just wondering.

Funny how my Great-Grandfather used to hang his watch on a chain and carry it in his pocket.  Kept excellent time by the way so he could get the train tracks switched on time.  Then I grew up winding my watch once a day and wore it on my wrist.  Now, my it's bigger than ever, back in my pocket, and I'm lucky if I get by charging it only once per day.  That's progress for ya.  

Oh, I still have Great-Grandfather's watch... working great some 100 years later.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

Can your "automatics" change the time zones by themsevles? Just wondering.

No, I use a GMT style of watch with 2 or 3 time zones when I travel. I really don't want them to change automatically. I like the hacking features of good watch and actually like setting them as needed. 

I've got vinyl records that take a lot more care and feeding to play over a gazillion songs on a phone and my finger tips. Any watch over a $10 quartz drug store special is just jewelry for you arm. $50 G-shock or $50,000 Patek Philippe no difference still $40 to 49,990 too much if all you want is the time. And as Jeff @Jeff Matthewssaid you probably have a very accurate time piece already in your pocket.

An automatic watch and the watchmakers are art and artist. Amazing pieces of craftsmanship. Not for everyone I get that. But then who needs a multi-thousand dollar McIntosh vacuum tube amp or $10,000 turn table. Your money spend it how you see fit. A quartz watch is even more accurate than an automatic or manual wind...but which would you rather look at the back of? B)

breitling-cosmonaute-24h-ref-a12023-161-

SUSW400%20XL2.jpg

• Like 1

For me, my watch is my one piece of "jewelry" (don't wear rings/necklaces/nose rings/other)

I am in the "I prefer automatic" camp because I like mechanical things.  It's not as accurate as a quartz but then...  how important is it usually, that you are within 2 seconds of calling someone on the phone!  Besides, I have my cell if I need dead on accurate.

Side note, when I bought it (Tag Heuer 6000 chronometer/chronograph) I knew it would not be a 'set it and forget it' purchase.  I usually take it off on Friday and on Monday's, I have to wind it up from dead, reset the date...

I wear my digital watch on weekend so I can bang it up while climbing around my backhoe or tractor.

Side note for those who care, my understanding is:

50M watch = you can splash on it, maybe survive a shower with it

100M watch = you can swim with it

200M watch = Dive rated

anything beyond 200M = you must have met Guido and he's tied concrete blocks to your ankles!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Coytee said:

200M watch = Dive rated

I learned the hard way about 32 years ago that a minimum 200m is the only way to go for diving.  My 100m was fine until we reached almost 120ft at Vortex Springs. 

Bill

My understanding on the ratings is it's for static pressure, not dynamic.

So, if you dangled a 50M watch from a string and took it down 50 meters, it "should" survive.

Once however, you strap it on your arm, you are introducing other movements that will change (increase) the dynamic pressure on the watch and it will likely drown.

• Like 1

Invicta are garbage to put it mildly.  There's a reason why they have an msrp and then you can regularly buy them for 90% off.

I sold Rolexes and other watches for nearly 20 years.  If you want a decent value watch go with a Tissot.  Many options including automatic, chronographs and if you're a gadget guy the T-Touch collection is pretty cool.

Just now, Coytee said:

My understanding on the ratings is it's for static pressure, not dynamic.

So, if you dangled a 50M watch from a string and took it down 50 meters, it "should" survive.

Once however, you strap it on your arm, you are introducing other movements that will change (increase) the dynamic pressure on the watch and it will likely drown.

Actually that was the thought but has been proven untrue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rplace said:

l always wanted a speedmaster....

I only have  a tag heuer 2000 auto..