wristwatches

T2K

5 hours ago, dtel said:

I would want to wear this one backwards it looks so nice.

I have worn it upside down (in my house, not in public). Interesting thing about the Breitling Cosmonaut is that it is a 24 hour watch. If you are not a total watch nerd you might be thinking aren't all watches? It has a 24 hour dial, not 12 so the hour hand only goes around once per day not twice. Not unique to Breitling there are lots of 24 hour dials out there....but the Breitling Cosmonaut was conceived by Scott Carpenter (2nd American to orbit the earth) as a way to distinguish day from night in outer space.

Takes some getting used to, at noon the hands are straight up and down from each other so at a casual glance if you don't remember what watch you are wearing it looks like 6:00.

cosmo_ad.jpeg

Quick what time is it on this watch???

BCOSMO_edit.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, rplace said:

you can wear it with blue jeans or a tux

You can always wear a fancy watch with jeans, shorts, other..... just don't be caught in a Presidential debate glancing at it...even if you are wearing a tie... :blush:

• Moderators
8 hours ago, rplace said:

I have worn it upside down (in my house, not in public). Interesting thing about the Breitling Cosmonaut is that it is a 24 hour watch. If you are not a total watch nerd you might be thinking aren't all watches? It has a 24 hour dial, not 12 so the hour hand only goes around once per day not twice. Not unique to Breitling there are lots of 24 hour dials out there....but the Breitling Cosmonaut was conceived by Scott Carpenter (2nd American to orbit the earth) as a way to distinguish day from night in outer space.

Takes some getting used to, at noon the hands are straight up and down from each other so at a casual glance if you don't remember what watch you are wearing it looks like 6:00.

I never realized that but perfect for some instances, like Scott Carpenter or people who live where the sun never really sets or doesn't for months, or the opposite.

I would avoid the Invicta. For similar money I would recommend Rotary brand watches. Built for the ages, a lot of styles. The photo is the model I have been wearing daily for the last five years or so. My wife also wears Rotary, picked her up one for her birthday a few years back. Well worth the money.

418D66A6-8359-44D1-94F8-BAE08F3E73B8.jpeg

I considered buying an Invicta because they're so gaudy looking. I could tell the time and my in-laws would have something new to talk about. But after hearing from wuzzer and reading lots and lots of negative reviews I dropped that idea.

Some 23 or more years ago I was at a jeweler looking at Seiko watches. Met a Seiko rep there and he recommended Citizen. So I bought one. Still have it and it keeps good time. Liked it so much that I bought another one just like it around 10 years ago. Perfect timepiece. The problem is that every time I look at them I'm reminded of work.

I'm considering buying another Citizen watch like the one pictured. That or nothing. hmmmm....

citizen watch (408x640).jpg

• Like 1

Years ago we had to have approved watches for work. Schedules and all. The watches had to be cleaned and tested yearly. With the advent of more modern technology that regulation disappeared. So I'm tired of looking at 24 hour dials.

I haven't thought about it but I could wear it on my penis. I'll have to check and see if I can buy extra band links. Thanks for the heads-up.

Keith

• Haha 3

I was a rising star (they called us Yuppies) for a company in 1980. Got a fat bonus, bought a Rolex. Great watch!

5 years later, started my own company, put the Rolex back in the box and put a $15 dollar Timex on my wrist.

Took me way to long to learn that a watch bought to impress, impresses no one.

The Rolex is still in the box. I take it out occasionally to remind me how foolish I was when I was young. Thankfully, I am a much better man today.

Today I value the Rockford pocket watch my great grandfather bought in 1875 and the 1888 Elgin pocket watch my wife bought for me when I graduated from college more than any time piece I have ever owned.

Jerry

16 minutes ago, T2K said:

Years ago we had to have approved watches for work. Schedules and all. The watches had to be cleaned and tested yearly. With the advent of more modern technology that regulation disappeared. So I'm tired of looking at 24 hour dials.

I haven't thought about it but I could wear it on my penis. I'll have to check and see if I can buy extra band links. Thanks for the heads-up.

Keith

"Excuse me while I check the time..."

• Haha 1

On 3/23/2018 at 6:17 AM, rplace said:

cosmo_ad.jpeg

Quick what time is it on this watch???

BCOSMO_edit.jpg

I knew Scott Carpenter wore the Cosmonaut but I didn’t know he conceived it...cool story...thanks for sharing...8:15 PM???

Bill

27 minutes ago, silversport said:

I knew Scott Carpenter wore the Cosmonaut but I didn’t know he conceived it...cool story...thanks for sharing...8:15 PM???

Bill

The minute hand is the same. So around 8:10pm looks 10 something am or pm at a glance, no?

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, rplace said:

Not very well thought of by the WIS crowd. All my high end watches are automatics, except for one manual wind. No real need these days for a watch, but that does not stop people with an appreciation for the finer things in life form owing one (or several). On the other hand it is like music if you like it, it is all that matters. Don't think for a minute that the big discounts you see on Invicta is an indication of a deal. They never sell for retail. God help you if you want to resell it.

I've got a few Breitlings, an Omega, Cartier plus several micro-brands. If you have watch specific questions fire away or PM me. My personal advice would be to say far away from Invicta unless it really speaks to you.

Nice collection of watches. The Omega Seamaster I had was great, I left it in the golf cart and when I went back 2 minutes later, the kids hadn't seen it. AT THE COURSE I TEACH AT!!!! Breitlings are exceptional watches, Cartier are too flashy for me. If you are looking for decent watches at good prices, go to Kickstarter and buy one (or 2) using the super early bird discount

Mark

• Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:05 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I've been looking at that Casio and also the $200 Seiko. They can take a beating and keep running. I'll probably look for another Seamaster and pick up a Jenny Caribbean along the way. Andy ( @HDBRbuilder) turned me onto some classic watches. The problem is there are so many great watches at reasonable prices, it's hard to drop 3200 on a Seamaster.

Mark

6 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Don't buy the expensive watch.  I have a 2 tone GMT and never wear it.  I thought it was cool when I was younger, now I feel silly wearing a status symbol.

That Casio is one sweet watch.  For $40 it is a no brainer.  Get the leather band for a different look.

Part of my job is to look successful,  clothes have to be crisp, shoes cleaned. And I never thought it was a big deal, but everyone commented on how nice the Omega was, the Casio I wear now, people question it. My attitude is "I don't give a F*** what people think of me, they pay me for my ability to help them improve." And then I say I need a status symbol. What kind of fool am I? only A TOTAL FOOL :lol::lol::lol:

Mark

16 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Don't buy the expensive watch.  I have a 2 tone GMT and never wear it.  I thought it was cool when I was younger, now I feel silly wearing a status symbol.

That Casio is one sweet watch.  For $40 it is a no brainer.  Get the leather band for a different look.

Chris,

What do you think of this?

TY

Mark

I agree with T2K about cell phones, while I have a nice Samsung Galaxy s7, I don't let it run my life and I really rarely use it as a phone or for texting and I don't really use it all that much, mostly to keep up on email when away from home and it also is connected to my home automation and home security systems and for some apps. I prefer my privacy so for the most part if someone wants to call me they can call me on my home phone which is a Ooma VoIP phone , I rarely answer my cell, it's a tool for me and I don't want to be bothered by it. I did use a cell phone for business in the 90's before most people even had cell phones, but I don't use a cell phone for business anymore.

I like wrist watches, I have four of them I currently switch between and I like all four, they are each about $125 to $300 in price.  Two run by battery, one is a Citizen Eco-Drive which is solar/light powered and one is self winding.

This is my latest I just bought recently, a Seiko 5, this one is self winding and has a clear window in back to view it's works. This one was about $130, I like it very much.

seiko-5-automatic-black-dial-stainless-s

seiko-5-automatic-black-dial-stainless-s

• Like 2