Klipsch Academy Center Channel Speaker

Thom

I currently use a Klipsch Academy for my center channel home theatre system along with a right and left Cornwall and two Heresy's for surrounds. My A/V Receiver is an NAD T-785. The Academy is an earlier design and is THX certified. I have found the response to seem somewhat "muddy" making it difficult at times to distinguish dialog in movies. Has anyone had a similar experience with this speaker? The Academy is a beautiful piece and, as much as I hate to,  I am considering updating to the Klipsch RC-62C. I do not have the footprint for the wider series speakers. Any comments an/or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

I bet it is time for a refresh...Bob Crites ( www.critesspeakers.com ) on this Forum could sell you the parts or re do your crossover and the tweeter diaphragm may also need replacement...a crossover refresh when I had an Academy did wonders and on my KLF-C7 I have changed the tweeter diaphragm to titanium from Bob and it works very well with Heresys or Quartets...

I would imagine it is much harder for the Academy to keep up with Cornwalls but the Academy, working as it should should do if a third Cornwall can't go there...

Welcome and good luck,

Bill

• Like 1

• Moderators

I would start with new caps in the crossover and see how it sounds, I would think that would do it and not real expensive. I would not use a Reference center, but that's just me, and Wuzzzer. :D

Do not replace it with a reference center the timbre' won't be remotely close.  I replaced the original network in the Academy that I had and it made a huge difference.  There was a member here (Popbumper) that created custom circuit boards and made a K-Stack crossover network with absolute premium parts.  It made the original network look like it was made by Playskool. 

I would have DeanG build you one from premium components rather than a Crites lateral move network it will be well worth the money invested.  That or figure out how to get a Heresy in place of the Academy at center.

I was using an academy with my chorus II, voices where a little difficult to hear. I tried different surround modes which helped, direct was best. Another thing you can try is to go into speaker settings and turn up the volume on the center channel, also eq if possible.

If it's the speaker itself agree with rebuilding xover or replace with third cornwall or diy cornwall. I built a chorus 1.5 center and love it, I never listen stereo now just 3 across the front. I would use the academy while getting  the parts for cornwall/tv stand speaker then sell the academy. You won't regret the up grade, well worth it.

Also agree with a third heresy up front, I think it  would be better than your academy. You could use one of your rears to test and see how it sounds.

• 4 years later...

Does anyone have an Academy Center Channel Schematic, or better yet a picture of the crossover ?

I wonder IF they used electrolytic capacitors in it, or Mylar ?

Old electrolytic capacitors would explain the muddy sound someone on this thread remarked about.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Four year old thread.  I had an academy and when I sen tot buy it  the owner and I were both really impressed at how clear the sound was when we switched to the Academy.  

Maybe the OP was driving it really hard.

My Academy is left over from my Forte/Cornwall days.; I have not played it in nearly 12 years!

It will do center channel duties for my newest pair of speakers. The KLF C7 is 3db more efficient than the 96db Academy, and has a larger horn. I will use the Academy right now, but will keep an eye out for a KLF C7 to keep up with these monsters

00h0h_fePeG9WzpXPz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

Here is the schematic for the Academy crossover network.  You also have to take into consideration that many, many movie soundtracks are just mixed horribly there are some that I struggle to hear the dialogue on and I have a La Scala center with the best components and network.  Updating the network components will make a difference if you use high quality parts not the mediocre crap from JEM or Crites.  Here is a comparison between Popbumpers K-Stack and the stock network for comparison.  Guess which one sounds better.

Klipsch Academy Network Schematic.jpg

K-Stack Klipsch Academy Network.jpg

Klipsch Academy Stock Network.jpg

2 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

Here is the schematic for the Academy crossover network.  You also have to take into consideration that many, many movie soundtracks are just mixed horribly there are some that I struggle to hear the dialogue on and I have a La Scala center with the best components and network.  Updating the network components will make a difference if you use high quality parts not the mediocre crap from JEM or Crites.  Here is a comparison between Popbumpers K-Stack and the stock network for comparison.  Guess which one sounds better.

K-Stack Klipsch Academy Network.jpg

Klipsch Academy Stock Network.jpg

Thanks for the picture of the Academy stock network! Because of the 2 old electrolytic caps, it needs a cap replacement. As these old electrolytic capacitors age, they change value by losing capacitance. This causes the woofers to play too far up in the midrange, causing that muddy sound.

• Like 1