Upgraded from Ortofon OM5E to OM20 stylus and now volume is much lower, anyone know why?

As the title says, I recently upgraded from an Ortofon OM5E to OM20 stylus and I'm really happy with the results -- less sibilance, more detail but I've also noticed something strange -- the volume is lower than before.

I'm using a Marantz 2230 and a pair of Klipsch Chorus I and usually keep the volume at the 9 o'clock position. Now that I've upgraded, I feel like I can push it to almost 11 o'clock for the same levels.

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm not complaining because the audio improvement is so good, I don't mind boosting the volume. Just curious why it's happening.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Schu said:

What are the specifications of the two cartridges? Within the MC and MM families, there can low output,  medium output and high output.

Not sure but is there a switch on the back of the Marantz where you can go from MM to MC?  If so, you might be on the wrong side of it...  Good luck w/the customer support.  Happened to me once w/my Perreaux pre-amp...  Flipped it and went WHOA!  :)

2 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Not sure but is there a switch on the back of the Marantz where you can go from MM to MC?  If so, you might be on the wrong side of it...  Good luck w/the customer support.  Happened to me once w/my Perreaux pre-amp...  Flipped it and went WHOA!  :)

i think the marantz is only mm, there's no switch on the back. 

• Like 1

Look for the output voltage spec, as these can vary dramatically.  That could account for your lower volume.  I think those Ortofons are moving magnet (MM), which I think I recall are 5 to 8 mv out or more.

I'd stay away from Moving coil (MC) which are much more demanding and usually have much lower output, that can require extra preamp stages or doo-dads and can seriously raise the cost for comparable quality.  MC's often have far lower output (0.3 to 1.0 mv +) which is in a different league in demands and are frequently too low in output for ordinary pre-amp inputs.  Stay away from "high-output" MC's -- basically stick to a good MM like the Ortofon OM-30 cart (I think that's supposed to be a good one).

If you can figure something out of data published, here is the link http://www.ortofon.com/om-series-p-550

Beside small differences in internal inductance and impedance, there are no big differences in OM line of cartridges. Of course, OM 20 has a nude stylus, in its time it was well regarded cartridge. Comparable to 2M blue today. I tried to find one for my old Philips turntable but it is to difficult these days. So I ended up with 2M Red.

22 hours ago, garyrc said:

Ask Ortofon.  This is the OCD answer. 

Here's what Ortofon replied: 

The magnet used on the stylus can vary ever so slightly in intensity.  Some slightly higher, some slightly lower.  Each lot of styli are quality tested to verify that they fall within a certain tolerance.

To give you some extra perspective, your moving magnet phono preamp multiplies the output of the cartridge by 40dB, then your amplifier applies a max of 38dB.  So that works out to be just shy of 8000 times the voltage of the cartridge (this is when your amplifier is at maximum, but just illustrating).  So, overall the variation can be more perceptible after this amplification.