KPT-904 vs Klipschorn

Macho Kiljoy

Yes I have had all 3. Stay with the Cornwall if you don’t have the room and knowledge of how to setup electronic crossovers and multiple amps that you will need for the 904’s and with the 904 and k-horns you will need subs. The Cornwall’s have better bass if you don’t have the room for all the other gear that you will need with the 904’s and the corners that are needed with the k-horns
Good luck and I know other guys will chime in very soon. I think 2 or 3 guys on here have been setting up their new 904’s and can tell you what they have had to do with getting them up and running. But they are worth the time and money if you really need all of that power of a 7foot speaker

• Sad 1

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Schu said:

904 a 7' speaker?

No it's not and it's not about power. What we use is a good bit bigger than a 904 like 2x and at the volume we use, a good bookshelf speaker could keep up. It's about the size and effortlessness of the sound without any pinpointing of where the sound is coming from.

Also the 904 is a direct radiator different sound, no way around it.

• Like 3

@Macho Kiljoy Bought Cornwall's new about 1981 and always thought they were the "best" speaker ever.  Until I got KPT904's about 3 months ago.  They BLOW the Cornwall's away!  Yes; per specs the Cornwall's go to (from memory) 38Hz vs 45Hz for the 904's ... you'll never notice :) The 904 have much more presence and sound quality ... the horns on the 904's are incredible! The Pro series horns are "way" bigger - diaphragms and throat are about 4x bigger area size. To me there is no comparison :) If you can find a pair, GET THEM!  Only heard Khorns at a friends place, so no "direct" comparison ... but would not trade my 904's for Khorns :) 

Re the bass on the 904's ... very, very solid. Housekeeper knocked out my subwoofer connection weeks ago ... never heard the difference :)

Also, a nice pair of used Cornwall's now goes for $1500-$2000. I got my 904's for $700 :) If wife "acceptance is a factor, I took the horns off and put them in a separate cabinet  ... see my post under "Klipsch Professional KPT-904"

Cheers, Emile :) 

• Like 3

@Macho Kiljoy ... add-on ... the 904's were designed for a 200 seat theater vs living room for the Cornwall's.  Spec comparison https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Professional-Logo-plastic-WHITE-72-mm-2-8-inch/152951894156?hash=item239ca4b08c:g:-DYAAOSwB1JasJ0w and http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/KPT-904-Data-Sheet-v04.pdf . 

Cheers, Emile :) 

5 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

That's news to me.  Are you quoting ebay asking prices or sold prices here, there and elsewhere?

Tampa Bay, FL region.  "Excellent" condition walnut ones $1500-$2000 on CraigsList. Others down to $1000 :)  (Only want a new member to have the best :) )

Cheers, Emile

1 minute ago, Emile said:

Tampa Bay, FL region.  "Excellent" condition walnut ones $1500-$2000 on CraigsList. Others down to $1000 :) 

Cheers, Emile

OK, well again, those are asking prices, and not realistic.  I see ads all the time for....."La Scala's - $2500!!  A new pair of these go for $8000!!  This is a bargain!!"  Blah, blah, blah.  I understand that not everyone knows the market like most of us do here, but when you are buying and selling these types of things at these price points, it would seem to make sense to do your homework?  Yes?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, carlthess40 said:

So I’m a little short guy. Lol. I hit the wrong key and meant to say 6’ or let’s be exact and say 55” or 56” or something like that it has been 12 years ago when I had mine and they were sitting on top of my kpt-484 subs

Dam Carl - you might be shorter than you think :lol:  5' would be 60" .

I know I still need to get back to you !

I'm with Emile here. I have a pair of KP-450's and for not much more floor space than Cornwalls you get four times the sound. Well maybe that's exaggeration but of the three Cornwalls I have had all sound boomy big box compared to the effortless output of the 904 type setups.

On 3/23/2018 at 4:36 PM, Coytee said:

Thought it merited a repeat

Dittos on the repeat. Home owner stuff just does not come close to the better Pro stuff. Same wattage that makes Fortes sound loud makes these 904's (yes mine is a 450 but the same bass bin and while a different horn one still highly acclaimed) sound huge. Sold a pair yesterday and did not touch a thing except to plug in the 450's and  the sound stage doubled with better definition in all ways. Chorus has deep bass and sounds muddy. Cornwalls sound like you are in a box. You never realize this until you have a chance to compare them side by side to something like the 904's.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2018 at 5:44 PM, jimjimbo said:

OK, well again, those are asking prices, and not realistic.  I see ads all the time for....."La Scala's - $2500!!  A new pair of these go for $8000!!  This is a bargain!!"  Blah, blah, blah.  I understand that not everyone knows the market like most of us do here, but when you are buying and selling these types of things at these price points, it would seem to make sense to do your homework?  Yes?

Last two I Cornwalls I sold here in Nashville went for $1,200 and $1,250. Crossovers re-capped and nothing else done except make sure all drivers were OK and cabinets re-oiled. Bought for $900 and $1,000.  Last La Scala I sold went for $2,000 but it had been refinished and had re-capped AA crossovers to replace the AL junk and that new Atlas driver. I bought it for $1,000 and had to drive 500+ miles to get it though. Guy drove up here from Fl to get it.

Cornwall’s are great, but they will not hold up to the 904’s!  Period!  I now have Jubilees which I consider even better than the 904’s, but I have owned KHorns, LaScalas, Cornwall’s, Forte, RF-7II’s, etc.  So far, I haven’t heard anything that competes with the pro line.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Looking for some help/insight to this: Dealing on a pair of Khorns but now have an opportunity for 3 of the 904s for much less.  I was putting together a 7.2.4 system and was going to run the Khorns with a Quartet center.  The guts is a Denon 7200wa.  Is this AVR enough to run the 904s properly?  Now I'm thinking of just getting the 3 904s for the L/C/R.  Good choice?

• Like 1