Turntable Recommendations

KeithMcGowan

21 hours ago, KeithMcGowan said:

Hey Chuck!

I swear on everything holy that I was thinking about those wings literally this week haha. I keep forgetting emails and passwords so I'm on account #3.

Cheers buddy, hope all is well in Wilmington my friend.

Hey Keith and Chuck! Those were the good old days. Wings and new speakers. I hope the hybrid corner horns found a good home.In fact I wouldn't mind knowing who has them now.

• Like 1

Hey back bluesboy.  Just thinking of you today as I was listening to some Keb Mo.  Thinking I need to make you a compilation tape of his tunes.  He has hooked up with one of your favorites Taj Mahal.  Heard them this past fall here in town. 

Will eagerly await Keith's thoughts on the Rega 5.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bluesboy said:

Hey Keith and Chuck! Those were the good old days. Wings and new speakers. I hope the hybrid corner horns found a good home.In fact I wouldn't mind knowing who has them now.

Hey Don!

Actually I could not come to selling those corner horns. I will never forget when we fired those up for the first time. They sat in storage for almost two years and I just moved those over to a good buddy's new place on loan so I could downsize my storage space (the 2-way LS center that you built is still in storage). I will shoot you a pic next time I'm over there. They will eventually be back in the house once I get a kid or two through college and get one out of the house. :) 

I am slumming now and am mounting some refinished Heresy in my office with a Fisher 500 and the table I just bought.

Hope all is well with you buddy!

• Like 1

Keith, Good to hear you've still got the corner horns. I thought you had sold them. I'm in the Tri-Cities Washington now and doing well.

I wished I had known you were in the market for a turntable as I've got a buddy here that has a Rega that he wanted to let go of.

People may look down their nose about this recommendation, but an Audio Technica AT-120-USB is a really solid budget turntable and you can easily mod it to remove the analog to digital converter.  (anyone could do it in 10-15 minutes and there's instructions on youtube)  It's essentially a knockoff  SL-1200mk2, but it's built really well and the quartz-lock keeps perfect pitch.  You can get a new one for under $300 and the cart is easy to upgrade from the stock AT95e.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bluesboy said:

Keith, Good to hear you've still got the corner horns. I thought you had sold them. I'm in the Tri-Cities Washington now and doing well.

I wished I had known you were in the market for a turntable as I've got a buddy here that has a Rega that he wanted to let go of.

Which Rega Don?  My Clear Audio Virtuoso Wood cartrige just doen't want to die.  Must be 10 years old by now.

On 3/23/2018 at 7:54 PM, rplace said:

Larry, Basis rebranded Rega 250 and 300 arms. I've seen a few 1400/Regards combos on the used market. Surely not a Vector, but don't think A.J. would have done that if not some synergy.

Hi Rich -- I asked a former Basis rep, who said that, like many manufacturers, AJ did use an OEM Rega arm for his entry level tables (1400, 2000...) many years ago, which he modified to work in his mount with adjustable vta. He abandoned the project after several internal wiring problems (Rega wiring). The arm was very good for the money, but once he had the Vector and moved away from more budget models, stopped doing the Rega thing.

I wasn't aware of that.  To get the 1400 into the market before he had his own tonearm.

• Like 1

I realize the OP has already found a TT but for those reading this thread hoping for a recommendation, the following Technics SL1200mk2 just turned up on A-gon.  It appears to be in good shape, however the seller has no feedback.  ..So keep that in mind.  $350 seems reasonable to me.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8ggc1-technics-sl-1200-mkii-turntables

5 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Good choice.  I have a P9 and really like it.  I like the classic style table with a dust cover. 

Nice... I miss my P5.

I had all the groovetracer and soundsmith mods, and they all worked... unlike some mods.

13 hours ago, Schu said:

Nice... I miss my P5.

I had all the groovetracer and soundsmith mods, and they all worked... unlike some mods.

I bought the P9 to save me from myself and save some money.  I figured if I bought a different model I would keep tweaking it.  The P9 was already loaded and no upgrades available.  I think that it is less money in the long run. 

On 3/23/2018 at 7:26 AM, ODS123 said:

Operationally, you’ll also notice that these tables have a much more substantial feel than their comparably priced BD tables.  My SL1200 (which I purchased new from B&H Photo three years ago - as new old stock) looks and feels like a $1000 component. It’s a heavy piece of gear made from metal and thick rubber (lower half of the base).  By comparison, the $1000 BD tables I considered felt so light and insubstantial.

Anyway, if you go the DD route, you’ll probably have to move quickly on either the Pioneer or Technics SL1210 as these are out of production and are available only as new old stock.

Actually, ..I stand corrected.  Technics has released a revised SL-1200 called the "GR".  ..It's $1800.  I knew they released an uber-costly 1200 (the GAE, around $5000) but was not aware of the GR.   Good to see Technics resurrecting the 1200 class of TT's.

.Also, I was wrong about the Pioneer as well.  ..It's purchasable directly from Pioneer via the "DJ" section of their www.pioneerelectronics.com website.  ..It's $600.   ..Anyway, just wanted to correct the record.

21 hours ago, ODS123 said:

I realize the OP has already found a TT but for those reading this thread hoping for a recommendation, the following Technics SL1200mk2 just turned up on A-gon.  It appears to be in good shape, however the seller has no feedback.  ..So keep that in mind.  $350 seems reasonable to me.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8ggc1-technics-sl-1200-mkii-turntables

Didn't need a second turn table but I threw in a low ball bid on this one.  Didn't get it and it later sold.

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Didn't need a second turn table but I threw in a low ball bid on this one.  Didn't get it and it later sold.

I'm giving serious thought to selling mine (pictured earlier in thread) and buying either a new SL-1200G, or SL-1200GR (more likely).  I don't have a particularly good reason other than just having one that's new in the hopes that'll be the last table I'll every buy.

Not to high-jack the thread, but could anyone speculate what I'd get for my SL-1200mk2? ..It is truly like new, not a mark or mar and NO modifications other than a KAB dampener which is easily removed by a twist of screw.  I suppose it's possible the set-screw left a tiny mark, but that would be it.  Even the box looks new.  Any guesses??  ..I bought it as NOS in 2014?  Sorry if it's no appropriate to ask.

29 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

I'm giving serious thought to selling mine (pictured earlier in thread) and buying either a new SL-1200G, or SL-1200GR (more likely).  I don't have a particularly good reason other than just having one that's new in the hopes that'll be the last table I'll every buy.

Not to high-jack the thread, but could anyone speculate what I'd get for my SL-1200mk2? ..It is truly like new, not a mark or mar and NO modifications other than a KAB dampener which is easily removed by a twist of screw.  I suppose it's possible the set-screw left a tiny mark, but that would be it.  Even the box looks new.  Any guesses??  ..I bought it as NOS in 2014?  Sorry if it's no appropriate to ask.

Why get a different one?  Keep it and change out the arm if you like.  I made adapter plates on a CNC machine to add an SME arm and a Sumiko (Jelco) Arm.  I sold the SME and kept the Jelco. 

It was way too much effort to make the mounting boards.  Do a search for places the sell the mounting boards. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=sl1200+arm+mount&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSs6e0sY3aAhVqxFkKHXE9Dw0QsAQIJg&biw=972&bih=665

P7230392.JPG

P7190377.JPG

As much as I've sworn to avoid this rabbit hole I am casually thinking of a table. Saw some new Regas today and must say after away from vinyl for decades the new tables appear, didn't listen, but appear flimsy, of marginal construction. Now I know about modern construction, sound deadening materials etc. but these really didn't float me boat. I've seen complete resto's of table that go back to when I played vinyl and they just appear more substantial, well made. More what I am used to seeing, I'm old. So will a 800-1000$ turnkey restored table perform as well as the new "thin line" tables. Ive seen some really nice restored Pioneers, i believe direct drive. And lets not get into carts right now as I know that too is its own rabbit hole.