Turntable Recommendations

KeithMcGowan

2 hours ago, richieb said:

As much as I've sworn to avoid this rabbit hole I am casually thinking of a table. Saw some new Regas today and must say after away from vinyl for decades the new tables appear, didn't listen, but appear flimsy, of marginal construction. Now I know about modern construction, sound deadening materials etc. but these really didn't float me boat. I've seen complete resto's of table that go back to when I played vinyl and they just appear more substantial, well made. More what I am used to seeing, I'm old. So will a 800-1000$ turnkey restored table perform as well as the new "thin line" tables. Ive seen some really nice restored Pioneers, i believe direct drive. And lets not get into carts right now as I know that too is its own rabbit hole. 

Yes.

On 3/27/2018 at 3:15 PM, Tarheel said:
4 hours ago, richieb said:

As much as I've sworn to avoid this rabbit hole I am casually thinking of a table. Saw some new Regas today and must say after away from vinyl for decades the new tables appear, didn't listen, but appear flimsy, of marginal construction. Now I know about modern construction, sound deadening materials etc. but these really didn't float me boat. I've seen complete resto's of table that go back to when I played vinyl and they just appear more substantial, well made. More what I am used to seeing, I'm old. So will a 800-1000$ turnkey restored table perform as well as the new "thin line" tables. Ive seen some really nice restored Pioneers, i believe direct drive. And lets not get into carts right now as I know that too is its own rabbit hole. 

I completely agree.  It's what I discovered when I shopped for a TT four years ago to replace my 15 yr old Ariston Icon..  ..Not to offend, but the belt-drives that I looked at seemed to be little more than a plank of wood, a bearing, an out-sourced motor, a rubber-band and an out-sourced tonearm.  No suspension to speak of.  ..Just a simple device that appeared to take little engineering know how.  ..Compare that to a Technics SL-1200, which seems like a substantial component.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ODS123 said:

I completely agree.  It's what I discovered when I shopped for a TT four years ago to replace my 15 yr old Ariston Icon..  ..Not to offend, but the belt-drives that I looked at seemed to be little more than a plank of wood, a bearing, an out-sourced motor, a rubber-band and an out-sourced tonearm.  No suspension to speak of.  ..Just a simple device that appeared to take little engineering know how.  ..Compare that to a Technics SL-1200, which seems like a substantial component.

(sorry to reply to my own post, but someone reacted and i don't want to presume their endorsement of my add'l comment)

..And when you ask the salesperson about this seemingly simple rubber-band approach, they'd say something like "it's better than DD b/c of motor noise."  Hmm.. I hear ZERO motor noise on my DD, yet every $1000 BD I heard struggled to hold a steady pitch when playing a piano or violin note.  ..So, it seems to me to be mostly a matter of engineering, tooling, and manufacture.  ..A DD TT requires tons of it, a BD does not.

This has been a timely topic for me. My 40 year old Yamaha is crapping out (cheap Japanese audio gear).

I have decided to give the Pioneer PLX-1000 a try. I used to own a Technics SL-1200 Mk2 as well but foolishly sold it. I hope the Pioneer will come close.

Pioneer PLX-1000 arrived today. UPS delivered it upside down of course. It was well boxed however and seems ok.

What a heavy TT, seems beefier than the Technics. Got it setup and am using the headshell and Clearaudio cartridge I used to have on the Technics.

It has been a couple of years since I had the Technics but I don't remember it sounding as good as this. Definite improvement over the old Yamaha. Very happy with the purchase. 

image1 (1).jpeg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tromprof said:

Pioneer PLX-1000 arrived today. UPS delivered it upside down of course. It was well boxed however and seems ok.

What a heavy TT, seems beefier than the Technics. Got it setup and am using the headshell and Clearaudio cartridge I used to have on the Technics.

It has been a couple of years since I had the Technics but I don't remember it sounding as good as this. Definite improvement over the old Yamaha. Very happy with the purchase. 

image1 (1).jpeg

Good to hear. And not surprised with the delivery. "Fragile" and "this side up" means little to nothing I'm afraid.