LaScala's and Tubes.

SonicSeeker

8 hours ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

Canadian SET monoblocks. Uses the 845 tube. About 18 watts.

They ceased production some years back.

I still occasionally see pairs on the Net.

I've been considering getting one of the Line Magnetic LM-518ia 845 based amps to compare with the CazTechs.

The LM-518ia is high on my list.

The best amp to pair with your speakers is my amp, lol.  There is no right or wrong answer.  I paired my modest amp  against a $7000.00 and there was no really difference .  I went home happy to know that I would not have trade my amp for the more expensive amp, unless to try an make a quick buck.  Definitely, not to keep the expensive amp.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, SonicSeeker said:

I have been in Texas as of last Friday and I am sitting next to the 219 IA still in it's box :(

I have not even opened it yet, I am waiting until we get into a new house, staying with my sister and her husband.

Killing me.

Man that is tough. Hang in there...........

I would at least have to open the box and gaze upon its beauty.

Shakey

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bottlehead SE-45 monoblocks for my La Scalas.  I've also a pair of quicksilver horn monos which are great amps, and absolutely quiet, but there is something special about the SET sound in my ears; more emotion.  The bottleheads do have a bit of "thrum" when connected to the La Scalas.  Worth it to me.  

I alternate between 

First Watt -M2  

and

Hand Made Weston Acoustics amps from Australia 

My amps were a custom made design they were built with tube rolling in mind - 4 types can be used 

http://www.westonacoustics.com/

Here are some photos

Both hand built by Earle Weston 

When I say hand built I mean hand built as he also winds his own transformers 

This is the main amp and has an output from 6 to 14wpc depending on tubes used ( KT88 tubes in photo  ) 

post-112724-0-38494000-1398592424_thumb.

post-112724-0-63561100-1398592436_thumb.

post-112724-0-95486000-1398592454_thumb.

And this is the preamp with inbuilt DAC and headphone amp 

post-112724-0-85998700-1398592470_thumb.post-112724-0-30336400-1398592483_thumb.post-112724-0-55047700-1398592496_thumb.

Guest wdecho
5 hours ago, ElJacobo said:

Bottlehead SE-45 monoblocks for my La Scalas.  I've also a pair of quicksilver horn monos which are great amps, and absolutely quiet, but there is something special about the SET sound in my ears; more emotion.  The bottleheads do have a bit of "thrum" when connected to the La Scalas.  Worth it to me.  

I am surprised to hear you have some hum, or as you say thrum, with your SE-45. I have a SE 45 I built and it is as quite as my other amplifiers with my LaScala's. My SE300B has a touch of hum or "thrum" when next to speaker but none from sitting position. I contribute it to the SE300B being more powerful. Both have DC on the filaments. Your amplifier may have AC filaments which many consider being best for sound vs DC filaments with the trade off of a touch of hum. Nothing I would fret over as long as not heard from listening position.There is some magic to direct heated triode tubes.