my cornscallas...so far

edmjm

it was almost 9 months ago a friend lent me his cornwall 1’s to compare to my focal 826w’s & I was instantly bitten by the horn bug. then we started experimenting with different drivers & horns & crossover mods to ring out every extra ounce of performance. I sold the focals to kick start building my own ultimate cornwalls & I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel.

the guy building the cabinets for me is also an audio guy so he knew exactly how & where to add extra bracing & support.

4167A3E0-C11F-49B9-B88C-A6CBDF6A9141.jpeg

• Like 1

it’s hard to tell from that pic, I’ll get one of the inside. started with a hybrid plwood, core is thin laminates sandwiched by layer of mdf then another layer of laminate topped of with birch finish.

on factory cornwalls the strips of wood that hold the motorboard & back board are just glued & stapled in place. mine are datoed into top, bottom & sides almost 1/4” to create a full frame brace for front & back of cabinet, then they are joined by corner braces to reinforce the mitred corner joints. then between woofer & mid horn cutouts is a full brace attached to motorboard & sides. the motorboard is a hard maple that will be stronger than the birch ply cause of all the cutouts.

I'd definitely like to see the internals.

Did you expend the butter dimensions or subtract the inner for the new walls thickness'? You used hardwood for the motorboard?

A close-up of that finish would be nice to... they look beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

OP ......excellent construction

I do have to ask though why are these being called cornscallas by people building them..?

I don't see anything resembling parts from a Lascala or Cornwall for the most part as well.

Again no offense intended but the name just doesn't fit the product IMHO.

miketn

45 minutes ago, LTusler said:

Its not the cabinet, its the horns and bass driver.  You can read up on the intent on ctriesspeakers.com

I remember the original beginning of the design but these are so far removed from then that the name just doesn't fit anymore but hey that's just my thinking.:)

miketn

• Like 1

Geoff, yes, kind of. I’m not sure if the mid horn is genuine faital lth142 or a clone. I got them off ebay with the screw on adapter. I’m using crites a55g driver, fastlane hf horn with b&c de120 driver & bass courtsey of emenince kappa 15c woofer

so the woofer is reinforced on the  motorboard by the mid brace & notice the the bass port shelf is now doing double duty as another reinforceing brace under the woofer. I’m hoping this will eliminate any vibration or resinating 

383C915F-A8C6-4675-A9C6-D2BE38F2CE54.jpeg