Heresy I Upgrade to III....sigh...again?

ishwash

Been reading the other threads about upgrading the Heresy I or II to Heresy III, and I can't say this question was ever answered clearly:

Is the Heresy I cabinet too small for the Heresy II to Heresy III upgrade or is it the speaker mounting board of the Heresy I that is not right? In other words can I make a new speaker mounting board and do the upgrade to Heresy III on a Heresy 1? I understand they may ask for SN's and that the square or round gizmo on the back is a problem...but those are not big problems are they...easily solvable, right?

My thought on the Heresy is use it as a two channel tv sound system, and add a sub to it if you want to also use it for music or action movies. Wouldn't its inherent weak bass make it a wonderful system for the spoken word for us old fxxxx, and when used in this manner wouldn't it be correct to shut the dang sub off if we are just doing "normal" programing? Then if the old doofus that I am wants to listen to my own music or the music channels on DTV, or watch an action movie, then and only then turn on the sub? Seems to me the Heresy would be the perfect TV speakers for folks who hate dealing with 5.1 or 7.1 complicated and downright irritating gadgetry.

Yes to most of what you said.

Having owned just about every version of Heresy, I would NOT bother to convert 1 to 3, or 2.  The improvement, IMO, is not worth the effort. Properly functioning 1s should be more than sufficient.  Please note the squawker horns on 2s and 3s are cut out to fit against the woofers, due to the reduced space available on the motorboard, due to the larger tweeter horn.

I agree with your thoughts regarding subs.  Using my @ClaudeJ1 DIY “Super Heresys” for music, I usually don’t bother with the 4 TH subs.  They improve the SQ, but the absence doesn’t seriously detract from the SQ for music.  Watching movies is another matter.  The subs provide the explosion impact the speakers alone never could.

Yes to most of what you said.

Having owned just about every version of Heresy, I would NOT bother to convert 1 to 3, or 2.  The improvement, IMO, is not worth the effort. Properly functioning 1s should be more than sufficient.  Please note the squawker horns on 2s and 3s is cut out to fit against the woofer, due to the reduced space available on the motorboard, due to the larger tweeter horn.

I agree with your thoughts regarding subs.  Using my [mention=20774]ClaudeJ1[/mention] DIY “Super Heresys” for music, I usually don’t bother with the 4 TH subs.  They improve the SQ, but the absence doesn’t seriously detract from the SQ for music.  Watching movies is another matter.  The subs provide the explosion impact the speakers alone never could.

I have Heresy ls. I see no reason to change them to llls. If you are obsessed with changing them Bob Crites has the drivers and motor boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ishwash said:

Been reading the other threads about upgrading the Heresy I or II to Heresy III, and I can't say this question was ever answered clearly:

Is the Heresy I cabinet too small for the Heresy II to Heresy III upgrade or is it the speaker mounting board of the Heresy I that is not right? In other words can I make a new speaker mounting board and do the upgrade to Heresy III on a Heresy 1? I understand they may ask for SN's and that the square or round gizmo on the back is a problem...but those are not big problems are they...easily solvable, right?

My thought on the Heresy is use it as a two channel tv sound system, and add a sub to it if you want to also use it for music or action movies. Wouldn't its inherent weak bass make it a wonderful system for the spoken word for us old fxxxx, and when used in this manner wouldn't it be correct to shut the dang sub off if we are just doing "normal" programing? Then if the old doofus that I am wants to listen to my own music or the music channels on DTV, or watch an action movie, then and only then turn on the sub? Seems to me the Heresy would be the perfect TV speakers for folks who hate dealing with 5.1 or 7.1 complicated and downright irritating gadgetry.

In 1985 i bought a pair of Heresy 1 for 2 channel, but was not satisfied, so i bought a second pair of 1982 Heresy 1 used and with a Onkyo 5.1 surround stereo.  Those 4 Heresy speakers in the same room made some good low bass with the movie Pink Floyd the wall.  Didn't use them for movies alot, but they are capable of some good bass just as they are.    Sold the 85's years ago and modified the 82's to Super Heresy.    Very happy with the Super's.   They really do have a similar sound to the CornWall, just a smaller sound.

Alright, you guys are implying "Forget the upgrade to III, and turn the 1's into Super Heresy?" Sounds like fun. There is a downside though; I got no corners around my big ole TV. Hmmm...that's not exactly true. They would sit on each side of a 30" high by 24" deep cabinet, with wall behind. Those are corners but there is a good 4" of space behind the cabinet, guess I could close it up with a board or two that my wife might not exactly approve of...smile...

I notice Crites offers a ported two-way speaker, the CS-1.5, that evolved from his fiddling with the Heresy.

BTW, thanks very much for responding!

Edited by ishwash
Improve for correctness

11 minutes ago, ishwash said:

Alright, you guys are implying "Forget the upgrade to III, and turn the 1's into Super Heresy?" Sounds like fun. There is a downside though; I got no corners around my big ole TV.

I notice Crites offers a ported two-way speaker, the CS-1.5, that evolved from his fiddling with the Heresy.

BTW, thanks very much for responding!

You don't need corners with Super Heresys. You just need a floor and a wall about 1 foot of space from the wall to "amplify and bounce" the output from the rear port. As it's original modifier, I can attest that this, in a smaller room, can get you bass down to Cornwall range. See my measurements in the original posts from about 4 years ago.

To the OP (original poster), do you have Heresys now, or are you trying to figure out a game plan?

I had Klipsch RB-61’s and an RC-52 under my TV in the master bedroom, sold them and stuck a pair of Cornwalls under the TV.

No love lost there.

Bigger is better and I still look to the sidewalls to see where the sound is coming from.

image.jpg

Geoff, no, but have some spotted for 250 to 300 about 15 miles away and had thought I might get them.  They are pretty shabby though.

Wow, Cornwalls for your bedroom! Really cool!

I pulled the trigger on a couple of LaScalas recently. Really fun, had wanted them all my life, was fun to just go get 'em, hook them up and start enjoying. I've always figured the stuff that I really, really like is a luxury I can't ever afford, even though I could have afforded them long before now. Old drawn-taut habits of an Okie farmboy die hard.

What I have always wanted to do in the bedroom is mount my TV directly to the ceiling right above my head to defeat the impact of having to wear bifocals. I may still do that one day and get me a pair of Cornwalls.....thanks for your post, Geoff, great setup!...will spend a while deciding what I want to do.

I just recently bought LaScalas too! 

I hear you about the “value of a dollar” mentality.

Anything over a weeks take home pay is a big decision.

I have NO regrets about that decision though. And FUN(!) is about the best way to describe them!

Heresy’s (any iteration) at ear level, near-field, with some bass boosting really deliver the goods.

But after a few years of going hard on the Klipsch journey I have found no use for bookshelf speakers, it boils down to whatever there is enough physical space for is simply the best choice. 

I have owned Heresy 1’s and 2’s, still own Forte 2’s and Tangent 5000’s (which I don’t use..) yet every time a pair of Heresy's comes up for sale in the $250-300 price range you mentioned, my mind starts trying to rationalize where I would use them! 

It was stated in another forum “Heresy’s are the gateway drug to Klipsch” and I couldn’t agree more.

• Like 1

Removing and replacing the motorboard of an HI would very nearly destroy the cabinet.  It is glued in and not intended to be removed.  The metal K-700 horn has an arc (some) or offset cast into it to give woofer clearance. 

It looks to me that the woofer is the biggest upgrade of the HIII.  You can compare dimensions of the 2 cabinets to see if the HIII woofer might be compatable.  A few percent difference in volume would not be significant.  Next, would be the crossover.  I don't think we have seen a schematic of the HIII crossover.  It would need modification to account for the different squawker and tweeter, but should be an evolution of the HII crossover shown in the Tech section.  I would expect steeper slopes and no autoformer. 

Another excellent upgrade would be a new tweeter that can be flush with the front of the cabinet.  That 3/4" recess causes the most damage at the very short wavelengths the tweeter reproduces.  I use and like Fastlane's tractrix tweeter horn and B&C's DE120 driver. 

Doesn't the HII and HIII use all the same drivers?  If so, the HII crossover give all the clues you need to build one. 

Ok, John, I appreciate yours and other's remark's as to the futility of using a Heresy 1. 2's are pretty expensive everywhere I have found them, such that purchase of a pair plus the upgrade makes III's a better route imo, maybe I should just keep my elcheapo but acceptable sound bar arrangement.