Using a low power SEP for HT?

Thaddeus Smith

I know this is a classic "try it and let us know", but I thought I'd ask here before I go through the effort of re-cabling and re-running calibration software. I've got a 3.5wpc SEP that's not being used and it's killing me. I also only have one system right now. My HT setup is 4.2 and my mains are La Scalas. Side surrounds, no center. I'm thinking about putting the SEP into place for the mains, but wondering if it'll run out of steam during action movie transients, etc.

I hate having it in a box unused and really don't want to go through the process of switching cables around and re-calibrating every time I want to use it for music. There will be some family training to make sure it's turned off/on as needed, but that's easy enough.

I've tried my Dennis had sep at 8-10 wpc R/L and it was good for things smooth and musical, but doesn't have the immediacy and strength to run with the big dogs of Home Theater duty when big transitional elements and immediate power is needed.

It worked, but it wasn't impressive or ideal for me personally... but try it out and let us know.

• Like 1

I ran a Musical Paradise MP-301 (~6 watt SEP) through the pre-outs on my HT receiver, powering my La Scala mains for a few years.  I think it sounded fine and had plenty of power.  Granted, I am using a THT sub, so bass response was well taken care of.  I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.  Having 104dB speakers does make a difference!

I was quite content with abandoning the idea after schu posted, but now you guys aren't helping. :P

Plenty of subs here, so I won't be running full range on the mains. I'll see if I can bribe the family to leave for a bit so I can play with wires and calibration in silence.

You need 5x the power to cover the transients and not go into clipping. So, if you’re running at a watt, you need 5 watts. 

3dB is half power, and you lose 3dB with each doubling of distance. If you’re only starting with a couple of watts, and sit 10 feet back - you can forget about realistic live listening levels or a dynamic theater experience. Well, “little girl and guitar” might sound okay. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...