6CA7 first impressions

edmjm

I switched out my winged c el34’s for electro harmonix 6ca7’s in my audio space as3i amp to cornwall 1’s

I’m very surprised by the difference in sound quality from changing power tubes. first thing I noticed is they use less juice (had to turn them down a full 0.1mv to bias)

I immediately noticed a wider soundstage, bass is tighter with a bit more oomph. mids & highs are cleaner & crisper. it’s almost like the winged c’s were just a touch out of focus where the eh 6ca7’s are dialed right in on everything.

a word of warning though, I think someone with younger, better ears might find the mids with stock horns a touch sharp or maybe fatiguing (damping the horn might take care of that) 

overall I’m very impressed & will be keeping these. although I shouldn’t be that surprised cause I’m using eh gold pin 12au7’s in the pre section (& love them) & a vintage telefunken short ribbed plate in the output section

• Like 1

On 3/25/2018 at 4:44 PM, edmjm said:

I switched out my winged c el34’s for electro harmonix 6ca7’s in my audio space as3i amp to cornwall 1’s

I’m very surprised by the difference in sound quality from changing power tubes. first thing I noticed is they use less juice (had to turn them down a full 0.1mv to bias)

I immediately noticed a wider soundstage, bass is tighter with a bit more oomph. mids & highs are cleaner & crisper. it’s almost like the winged c’s were just a touch out of focus where the eh 6ca7’s are dialed right in on everything.

a word of warning though, I think someone with younger, better ears might find the mids with stock horns a touch sharp or maybe fatiguing (damping the horn might take care of that) 

overall I’m very impressed & will be keeping these. although I shouldn’t be that surprised cause I’m using eh gold pin 12au7’s in the pre section (& love them) & a vintage telefunken short ribbed plate in the output section

Those used to be my favorite for years with my CW's til i tried JJ KT77's.  I think their just a bit more defined or clearer.  I would like to try the Gold Lion KT77.

Guest wdecho
11 hours ago, mopardave said:

Those used to be my favorite for years with my CW's til i tried JJ KT77's.  I think their just a bit more defined or clearer.  I would like to try the Gold Lion KT77.

I have a pair of the Gold Lions KT77's in my newest EL34 tube type build. Excellent sounding. Cannot comment on better than JJ's never owning a pair though. 

The 6CA7 fat tubes are nice and I like the sound.  I also like the the Tung-Sol EL 34's.  These tubes on my amp are well balanced from top to bottom.  The bass is tighter and the midrange is excellent with sparkling highs.  The 6CA7 has a more airy bass and a bit deeper although that is not necessarily needed with the speakers.  Experiment and enjoy!