La Scala Split Project

Ok, so I have a set of majestic Klipshorns, but have always wanted a set of La Scalas that I can haul around to friends houses, have outside at parties, take to work, etc.  I have a spare set of K33's, K55's / K401's, and K77's, along with a set of AA crossovers that all need cabinets for a home.

After I saw the splits I knew that that's how I'd like to have them.  I found a pair of empty but severely beat up La Scala factory cabinets near me, and with the help of a friend (thanks, @Hornographic) we retrieved them.  These things even have a bit of mold on them and a hideous gloss paint job.

I'll update this thread as I go (with pictures), assuming anyone is interested.

• Like 3

You seem to have it under control. I did a similar redo of a beater pair and made them look like LSI's. should have cut the top off as well cuz I still ended up buying a pair of LSI splits! Still have both pair. I'm in StL as well so if you need anything, let me know, but as I said looks like you got this! Fun ain't it?

post-60988-0-25020000-1468156004_thumb.jpgpost-60988-0-80300000-1468156068_thumb.jpg

2 hours ago, MookieStl said:

You seem to have it under control. I did a similar redo of a beater pair and made them look like LSI's. should have cut the top off as well cuz I still ended up buying a pair of LSI splits! Still have both pair. I'm in StL as well so if you need anything, let me know, but as I said looks like you got this! Fun ain't it?

post-60988-0-25020000-1468156004_thumb.jpgpost-60988-0-80300000-1468156068_thumb.jpg

That's a beautiful result.  Maybe we can meet up after I'm done and try 'em out.

Once I filled in all of the holes on the top with putty, I ran the router flush-cut bit around the perimeter of the top.  I let the putty dry for a day, sanded it, and then painted the top of one of them to see how Duratex looks.  In this photo, the Duratex has just been applied and is still wet.  Didn't have time to do much else.

That pocket on the back looks really good with the chamfered edge.

I got some aluminum angle extrusion but am doing this part a bit differently.  90 degree angle for the sides and back.  For the front, I found some 3/4" width U channel.  It fits perfectly over the plywood edges.  Maybe tough to visualize, sorry.  I hope to have some photos tonight.  Still looking for the proper corners.  I like the rounded corners but they need to be relieved to allow for the extrusion, and most don't seem to be.

IMG_2939.jpg

This is the corner type I'm looking for:

IMG_2940.jpg

See how it has relief for the extrusion?  Any thoughts in this area are appreciated.  BTW, that's just a random road case from work, not a speaker.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Saw those on Penn Elcon but thought the "relief" was going the wrong way. The resolution on their website is terrible.

First coat of Duratex looks good, you're on your way now. Let me know when they are done and we can try 'em out!

I know, it sure looks that way!  I'll know for sure when they get here.

Sounds like a plan.  What part of STL are you in?  Where'd you go to high school, LOL?

7 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

I know, it sure looks that way!  I'll know for sure when they get here.

Sounds like a plan.  What part of STL are you in?  Where'd you go to high school, LOL?

Live in south city, work (keep my LS's) in Kirkwood area.

SLUH

and you?

Not much time this week to work on the splits.  Tonight I mounted the SpeakOn connector in the LF sections in the pocket I routed out.

IMG_2947.jpgIMG_2947.jpg

I had to sand and paint the bottom right of the photo and I used a brush, which is why it looks smooth.  I'll go over it with a roller later and it'll get that awesome texture.

• Like 2