La Scala Split Project

Aha.  I finally get it.  Sorry @cincymat.  I am working on the 2nd LF section today and after replying to you and then getting the comment from @MookieStl I figured I must be thinking about something all wrong.

In a normal La Scala, the hole in the back allows the squawker driver to exist.  Without it, the driver would indeed hit the back wall of the cabinet.  When you close things in like in a split, there is very little clearance.

I mocked up the setup to see:

IMG_3082.jpg

That's the 3/4" front flush with a cabinet edge.  And here's the other end of the 401 with the 55 attached:

IMG_3083.jpg 

No room for anything at all with a 3/4" front!

Even with the 1/2" front it'll be exactly as @cincymat and @MookieStl say it is.  It is a very tight fit.

Respect, gentlemen.  I surely would have made a big blunder here.  I'm sorry I didn't get it at all at first.

• Like 1

Today it is raining outside so I turned my attention to grilles.

I liked the "big W" look that I think @Matthews and @MookieStl accomplished, so I made a template.

IMG_3091.jpg

Here's what it looks like in the bin:

IMG_3090.jpg

IMG_3089.jpg

So I mark the sidewall of the doghouse where the line intersects, mark the side near the front and that's where the front of the grille goes.  Easier than measuring and marking each one by hand.

Also, I learned that the doghouses are not exactly centered.  They're pretty close, but definitely not centered.

Today I had maybe an hour to work on the splits project, sorry I'm so slow.  I re-cut the doors smaller because I realized they'd mess with the trim and corners.

I painted the door of one of the LF bins:

IMG_3119.jpg

and the LF bin itself:

IMG_3120.jpg

This is what it looks like with the door in place:

IMG_3121.jpg

And with casters plugged in:

IMG_3122.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

I've been talking to @MookieStl about the grilles and thinking things over a bit after running into a snag making grille frames.  He gave me some good ideas and I'll decide what to do soon.

• Like 1

I made frames for LS grills many times for Matthews. He did the hard part of putting the fabric on. They always turned out nice, maybe too pretty of Industrial versions, but still nice. He went out closer to the front end than you show in your illustration but same idea.

bbty.jpg.1c93bdf3b272bfe21083f967b281848b.jpg
Wow they look amaziiing!

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

They look great.  If it were my project, I’d forget grilles.  They’re a lot of work, and , IMO, they work against the pro look you’ve so successfully captured.  If they were veneered furniture, I’d say yes, but not these working class beauties.  But they aren’t mine, it’s your decision, and either way will be good.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2018 at 11:21 PM, codewritinfool said:

...and here's the pocket with the hole into the doghouse for the SpeakOn connector.  Vertical positioning was determined by seeing where my fist would fit while holding the SpeakOn connector.

IMG_2931.jpg

I had to review to recall why that “V” shaped opening is there.   Gotta love those Speakon connectors.  I use them on all my speaker builds.  They’re especially cool on these pro-look La Scalas, plus, they satisfy the requirement to include a product of Liechtenstein in each project.

E26BC4F9-2947-44F0-9F1E-9D5C37519D05.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DizRotus said:

They look great.  If it were my project, I’d forget grilles.  They’re a lot of work, and , IMO, they work against the pro look you’ve so successfully captured.  If they were veneered furniture, I’d say yes, but not these working class beauties.  But they aren’t mine, it’s your decision, and either way will be good.

I was thinking the same thing at first and usually agree with Diz, but then I saw the fabric you picked. It might work and look cool & unique. Since you already bought the fabric, you should at least mock something up and see. What 'cha got to loose? They are looking great by the way.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

I was thinking the same thing at first and usually agree with Diz, but then I saw the fabric you picked. It might work and look cool & unique. Since you already bought the fabric, you should at least mock something up and see. What 'cha got to loose? They are looking great by the way.

Yep, I'm thinking hard about what both of you said.  On one hand, I have the 2" roller and that allowed me to get the textured finish all the way back in the bins... but as you point out, it wouldn't be too hard to mock something up just to see how it looks from the front.

I'll think on it as I lay out the HF section today.  I almost made it too narrow, forgetting about the original 3/4" sides!

They're supposed to be wider than just the old front section...

That red line at the bottom that I was ready to cut was a mistake!

IMG_3163.jpg

One more photo getting ready to cut and then it hit me.

IMG_3164.jpg

As it turns out, that plywood is almost perfect width.  Only need a tiny bit off to get it to 23-3/4" overall.

I was telling @Hornographic the other day, if I were in my 20's, 30's, (or maybe even 40's?) I would have cut it already and tried to fix it later.  These days I like to think about things for a while.  Sometimes days.  In this case, it paid off because I probably would have cut it, then started routing the horn openings before I realized that it was too narrow to match the LF bin.

@MookieStl @DizRotus @Hornographic @Matthews

Ok, this is a horrible job since the frame isn't built right - and so you'll need to ignore the rough front edge and the staples in the front to help hold it together for the photo.  Also sorry that I didn't spray the wood black, but this is a crude mockup.

IMG_3166.jpg

After seeing this, I'm not sure I like the grille color / look at all.  Thoughts?

45 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

@MookieStl @DizRotus @Hornographic @Matthews

Ok, this is a horrible job since the frame isn't built right - and so you'll need to ignore the rough front edge and the staples in the front to help hold it together for the photo.  Also sorry that I didn't spray the wood black, but this is a crude mockup.

IMG_3166.jpg

After seeing this, I'm not sure I like the grille color / look at all.  Thoughts?

Nope

• Like 1