La Scala Split Project

The grille mock-up was a good idea. "Measure twice..."

I have to vote with  @DizRotus and @MookieStl on this one. The grilles detract from the look you've already got - they'd be like socks on a rooster.

Plus, you were able to paint the throats of the bass horn and get the same finish on all visible areas. There's nothing to hide, so why bother with grilles?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mocking up the HF section.  Some chamfering to do.  I'm going to use some 3/4" square stock along the length of the edges for a screwing surface.  Not ready to commit to assembly yet, just checking things out.  Looks like crossover and handles and I/O dish will be no problem, though.

IMG_3195.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

The horn & driver BARELY fit!

IMG_3193.jpg

• Like 2

Visualizing placement of crossover, handles and dish for SpeakOn connectors.

IMG_3198.jpg

I may have to re-cut the sides.  I got the angles right but now they're just a wee bit too short.  If I can brace them with corner stock, I'll use them as-is because the corner trim will hide any slight gaps.

IMG_3199.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update - so, after much consultation with @Hornographic, we figured out the proper dimensions for the HF section, which were off from what I had.  I purchased plywood last week and have been waiting for a day to work on it.  I think once I get about 3 hours of time I'll be able to cut and assemble the tops.  Stay tuned and sorry for the delays in the saga.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday it was raining and today it was hot.  This evening, though, I managed to get the right sides of both HF sections routed out, painted, and hardware installed.  

The right sides have handles as well as the I/O dish with SpeakOn connectors.  Amp IN and LF out.  

The left sides will be easier because they only have handles.

IMG_3317.jpg

23 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

Yesterday it was raining and today it was hot.  This evening, though, I managed to get the right sides of both HF sections routed out, painted, and hardware installed.  

The right sides have handles as well as the I/O dish with SpeakOn connectors.  Amp IN and LF out.  

The left sides will be easier because they only have handles.

Not sure you need two handles. My splits only have one. But, it never hurts to have an extra one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MookieStl said:

Not sure you need two handles. My splits only have one. But, it never hurts to have an extra one.

Just my take on it... I would have mounted everything except handles, and then placed the top section on a broom handle or dowel to find the balance point. Then put in one handle, where the handle pivot matched the balance point. You should hen be able to easily carry it with a single handle , just like a suitcase.

Bruce

• Like 2

On June 4, 2018 at 8:46 PM, MookieStl said:

At first I thought the same thing.  Upon closer inspection,  the black rectangle appears to be a terminal cup, rather than a handle.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

At first I thought the same thing.  Upon closer inspection,  the black rectangle appears to be a terminal cup, rather than a handle.

You're right, the black thing is a "dish" with two SpeakOn connectors on it.  One for amplifier in, and one for LF out that uses a short cable down to the LF section.

What @MookieStl is referring to is the handle on the other side of the HF section, and that I may not need two handles on the HF section.

He's right, I probably don't need two handles, and @Marvel is also right that if I found the center of gravity I could get by with one properly-placed handle.

As it is, though, I have an additional silver handle on the other side of the HF section.  Not necessary from a weight point of view, but it is there anyway.

6 hours ago, DizRotus said:

@DizRotus Really? After all we have been through together, you assumed I thought the terminal cup was a second handle next to the "other" handle. You could give me a little more credit than that! Codewrittenfool was talking about one on each side as he clarified for you. On my splits the there is a handle on one side and the terminal cup on the other (that can be used to help move the top around if you need it) My terminal cup has the much preferred five way binding posts, not those cheap SpeakerOn connections! (B) just trying to get a reaction out of you)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Worked on things a bit today.  I managed to get one whole channel up and running, HF & LF, and it sounds great.  I put feet on the bottom of the HF section too.

Next up is armor trim and corners for the HF section.  I have to do more metalwork because the corners are designed for orthogonal use and the HF sides are not.

IMG_0020.jpg

• Like 1

This is what I'm thinking about / up against....

IMG_0037.jpg

That's the front of the HF section.  Notice how the corner is set up for 90 degrees on all sides but the box is not.  I think I will try making a pie-shaped cut down through the mounting hole all the way to the peak of the ball, then close up the gap.  On the back of the HF section it is even worse, because I would have to ADD material.  Not totally sure what to do here.

I could re-make the tops square without trouble, but I really like the triangular look.  I could also identify a different corner strategy for just the tops or for all of the corners, LF included. Thoughts?